Rod rings

iain t

Reaction score
Broke the tip ring off my rod this morning. Hands up all my fault. Does anyone know what make of rings Preston use on their Equis float range?. Emailed Preston but no response yet.

mikench

Reaction score
Sorry I can't help Iain! I assume your fishing session was curtailed as a result!

iain t

Reaction score
It happened on the last cast just when i was about to pack up anyway. It was a clean break and I've only lost about 20mm off the tip. No worries as i will be still on the bank tomorrow with one of my other float rods.

daniel121

Reaction score
I don't know mate but I'm going to hazard a educated guess that it would be a Aluminium Oxide guild, I doubt they would use Fujis but my opinion of Preston rods is not all too high.

Anyway if you put this on it will be OK
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fuji-BPOT1...Y340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=Fuji+Aluminum+Oxide

The real problem your faced with is how much tip you have lost and how this will effect the action of your rod, sorry to say but you might find its a totally different rod when you have repaired it, I speak from experience.... Doh... Unfortunately :)

Reaction score
Contact a tackle shop who sells Preston rods,your more likely to get somewhere that way,Preston don't like talking to customers...

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Take a look through the Fuji and Seymo pages on here (I think Aftco are sea rings). There might be one that closest matches yours.

Ever thought of getting the old bit of carbon out and re-using the existing ring? Most are only fixed on with a weak glue and we used to use a lighter to warm them up and pull the carbon//FG biit out with pliers. The diameter of the new section might then be too thick for the old ring, but they are worth keeping in case it happens again with a thinner rod.

iain t

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. I went through my bit box last night and found one that matches the style and the exact size but in black. I took the blank back to the next ring and removed that one. Fitted the tip ring with Araldit 2 pack glue.
Set up at 4 AM on the bank. The first cast caught a 3lb Chub followed by a few Dace and Roach. To be honest there seems to be no difference of the tip action. Maybe this is due to the blank measures the same diameter until after the 2nd ring then it's only 00.02 thicker by the 3rd ring. No wiping on the tip ring, i will only have to put a bit of varnish to make good.
Am keeping the old ring. I will have to get the Dremel out and drill the carbon stuck inside. I tried every trick in the book to get it out but it refuses to budge.

Yes it was a wrap around Mike.

Last edited: