Abu Garcia Max Specimen 11ft 2.25lb tc

John Keane

Reaction score
Anyone ever owned or used one of these rods? Thinking of getting a couple as a one-size fits all for piking/carping. I only do these sorts of fishing on an occasional basis and so 2 two rods would be better than four as far as I’m concerned.

I’ve already indicated, in another thread, that I find 11ft rods preferable to 12ft so size isn’t an issue.

I’ve had double figure pike and carp up to 20lb on a 1.75lb tc rod in the past so I think the 2.25tc rating will be fine also.

I know they are now older rods which maybe gives more likelihood of some of you having used them.

peterjg

Reaction score
John, I have one of these rods which I bought in about 1980, it was the first carbon rod I bought. It is unusual as it has a short carbon sleeve which slides over the spigot, it has a softish action and is fine for pike - as long as you don't try to cast big dead baits long distances.

John Keane

Reaction score
John, I have one of these rods which I bought in about 1980, it was the first carbon rod I bought. It is unusual as it has a short carbon sleeve which slides over the spigot, it has a softish action and is fine for pike - as long as you don't try to cast big dead baits long distances.

Thanks Peter, a softish action sounds good to me, I’m fed up of pokers. Most of my dead baiting is done at a range of 5-20 yards.

Could you possibly put up a pic of the ferrule please?

John Keane

Reaction score

Actually, I’ve just found a photo online and the ferrule looks like a standard overslide joint? As you say you bought it in 1980 is it the CARBON SPECIMEN as the one I’ve seen has abbreviated handles and looks reasonably modern?

Critically, is it heavy?

peterjg

Reaction score
My rod must be an earlier model, it has a full cork handle.

John Keane

Reaction score
My rod must be an earlier model, it has a full cork handle.

Thought so, but thanks for the info Peter. I’ve just bought an unused pair of the Abu Max Specimen 11ft from eBay. At the price I paid they’re worth a punt, sight unseen.

John Keane

Reaction score
Got my pair of 11ft Max Specimen rods. The build quality is beautiful and, as predicted they’re not the lightest but they are brand new and with a 6000 Baitrunner on, an ounce or two makes no odds to me.