New to me reel

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Well

Just landed me an Abu Garcia gold max 507 MKII today .
Not sure of their reputation but it feels nice so far i noticed twin pickup pins i seem to remember seeing somewhere somewhere about that being a problem anyone know if that right .
A bit bigger than my normal 507 MKII not sure where it was made seems well engineered compared with the 507 only slight ooops no spare spools so i got to find a couple .

Hopefully if the weather is ok tomorrow i will give it a try thinking of heading to the pool as it is in a bit of a hollow so avoids a lot of the wind , only thing is i cant do much till AD opens as i got no maggots ..

PG ...

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
If it's like this one, they are pretty good and I used this one a lot. The only criticism when they were made was that they were very heavy. So a while ago I bought the latest version thinking they would be lighter and guess what? They're just as heavy and not quite as well engineered, ie: no way to lock the spool any more.
76-b.jpg

daniel121

Reaction score
OK I'll tell you about this, my lad saved and saved to get one of these in the 90's he will know how much it cost, Ill ask him.

Anyway they were branded as the return of the brilliant Abu 507, but bar the name I'm sorry to say they was little similarities to the original reel I'm sorry to say. They was extremely heavy and every now and then one of the pin went in and the other went in and out, you can guarantee it would be on that bonus chub! I brought the second one off my lad because I felt sorry for him but I can honestly say it was not my finest purchase :eek:mg:

sam vimes

Reaction score
The Goldmax 507 Mk2 being overly heavy is one of the great myths of fishing. It's within an ounce of the original 507 and even closer in weight to the modern 507 Mk2.

Compared to most modern fixed spool reels they are undoubtedly heavy, but in comparison to each other, the reality is that all three are around the 14oz mark.

The supposed problem with the pick up pins was simply that there were two rather than one. Many users seemed to think this was an issue, though I've never got to the bottom of why. I've not used either of my Goldmax (one standard, one match edition) in years, but I had no more problems with them than I had with a 505. Given a choice, I suspect that I'd rather have a minty original 507, but I'd rather a Goldmax than the modern one. That could have been different if the modern one had been 12oz or less.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
If it's like this one, they are pretty good and I used this one a lot. The only criticism when they were made was that they were very heavy. So a while ago I bought the latest version thinking they would be lighter and guess what? They're just as heavy and not quite as well engineered, ie: no way to lock the spool any more.
View attachment 6110

Ok ..

this on does have the gear lock on the side so it is one of the earlier ones it has 0003 on the foot , I did use it today but had a slight problem with it all sorted now thou partly the line pickup pins were all stickey with what i can only describe as what i know as HYVO chain grease and the line on it was **** and cincked like crazy other than that is was fine .

I am not sure why but i had wanted one of these for ages so jumped at the chance of getting one , have now had it stripped down cleaned up and rebuilt tonight loaded with new line seems ok at home hope to test it out on Wednesday .

All i need now is to get a couple of spare spools for it but seems like that is going to be an expensive job they seem to be around £24.00 each ..

PG ...

sam vimes

Reaction score
All i need now is to get a couple of spare spools for it but seems like that is going to be an expensive job they seem to be around £24.00 each

Keep your eyes on ebay. You can pick up reels with spare spools for less at times. On thing the Goldmax definitely is not, is popular.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Keep your eyes on ebay. You can pick up reels with spare spools for less at times. On thing the Goldmax definitely is not, is popular.

Yep that is where i saw the spools at 24 quid apparently there are 2 types of spool for the GoldMax it seems i have the more expensive earlier one .. typical ..

PG ...

daniel121

Reaction score
The Goldmax 507 Mk2 being overly heavy is one of the great myths of fishing. It's within an ounce of the original 507 and even closer in weight to the modern 507 Mk2.

Compared to most modern fixed spool reels they are undoubtedly heavy, but in comparison to each other, the reality is that all three are around the 14oz mark.

The supposed problem with the pick up pins was simply that there were two rather than one. Many users seemed to think this was an issue, though I've never got to the bottom of why. I've not used either of my Goldmax (one standard, one match edition) in years, but I had no more problems with them than I had with a 505. Given a choice, I suspect that I'd rather have a minty original 507, but I'd rather a Goldmax than the modern one. That could have been different if the modern one had been 12oz or less.

I own both reels trust me it's bloody heavy! Regarding the 90s model, I got my lads exchanged 2 time on warranty all 3 reels had the same issue before I brought it off him. The tackle shop he brought it from was the angling center Derby. According to my son it cost £79.99 I texted him.

trotter2

Reaction score
Take one I the pins out you will have no end if trouble.
Not a great fan of them tbh. Love closed face reels but these are too heavy for a modern carbon match rod imo.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I own both reels trust me it's bloody heavy! Regarding the 90s model, I got my lads exchanged 2 time on warranty all 3 reels had the same issue before I brought it off him. The tackle shop he brought it from was the angling center Derby. According to my son it cost £79.99 I texted him.
Funny but I've never had a problem with the pins on mine or the 505, 503, or 501 that I owned. Keep them clean, a lot of problems were caused, as I understand, by matchmen with hands covered in groundbait that got on the line and then into the gubbins and never cleaning them. I do remember they were expensive when they first came out.

If you want spare spools keep your eyes out on ebay for a reel in real sh!tty condition and sometimes going for less than a tenner.