Rather Eat Worms?

nottskev

Reaction score
What's your least favourite fishing chore? I can cheerfully do almost everything fishing-related, but I elasticated half a dozen pole top-kits the other evening, and I did find it a tedious business.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Must admit I find elasticating pole tops tedious too.
Another thing I find get fed up with is riddling maggots.
There's always those last few which seem to lack the energy to make the final thrust through the mesh and get stuck, they then wave around like demented idiots.
It's then a chore to either push them through or pull them out blunt end first. I deliberately feed these to the birds, serves the little blighters right.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
For myself it has to be both drying keepnets and landing nets as well as washing and leaning bait boxes . . . . especially those used for sticky-mag or flavoured corn.

I am rather OCD when it comes to my kit and after every trip will spend far too long cleaning, drying and checking my kit.

Just thought as well, re-spooling new lines; as both a coarse and fly angler have many different spools and the most boring job going is putting new lines on them . . . . . .

mikench

Reaction score
Drying off my chair and other tackle if they get soaked! It's a real pain! Keeping and using pinkies comes close!:)

mikench

Reaction score
Why the pinkie issue Mike?

Alan i first used them in the summer and some supposedly reusable ice bags burst in my cool box wetting everything and seeping through the holes in the maggot box. How the little devils got out is one of life's great mysteries, but get out they did and they got everywhere!!!! I was still finding them days later!

I also tried bronze maggots which got wet in a downpour and turned my fingers a nicotine shade of brown!!!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Elasticating pole tops doesn't bother me because I don't have any, and it's highly likely that I never will ;).

Philip

Reaction score
Tying up pre-made rigs can be a real bore, as can threading rod rings especially on match rods with loads of them.

I see a few mention spooling up but I actually don't mind spooling up line that much. Its not too often & a freshly filled spool with new line somehow looks right & gives me motivation to go fishing !

Reaction score
Agree with that Philip,for me it is rare to fill more than two spools at once,so it's only a 10-20min job,no sweat...

As for rigs/hooklinks etc ,as I only the these up for the rod in use,often on the bank of doesn't tend to be boring,a pain in the jacksie when it's around dark yes,only because I want everything just so,which sometimes isn't as easy to see in torchlight.

Last edited:

bullet

Reaction score
stringing up rods, which is why I leave all the favorites strung up!

seth49

Reaction score
To be honest, there nothing I really dislike about fishing, can be a chore drying wet gear and that’s why I don’t fish in the rain much, but being retired it doesn’t matter, there’s always tomorrow.
What I’ve found very handy for drying things is the dehumidifier I have in my room, dries things without making the room damp, the house feels warmer as well if the humidity is low, I have it on timer for two hours every morning, in winter probably empty about a gallon a week out of it. Good for drying washing as well, and a lot cheaper than using a tumble dryer.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
As I fish quite a lot these days I have to make time to keep the gear in reasonable nick so I'm ready for the off next time out. To achieve this I sort the gear as soon as I come home after a session which really is a chore, particularly if I'm cold AND hungry!

I always clean the 'pins and check the line, but as I have already wound the line back through wetted fingers to check for any rough bits (really necessary with 2lb bs line!) I know the stuff still on the spool is then fine for use. Same with the rods; they get a wipe down at the end of a session, thus making them ready to go next time.

I do all of this simply because it is bad enough setting up the tackle in the early morning half light, without having to wonder if the line I'm threading through the rod rings is up to the job! Same with the reels; what can be worse than hearing a grating noise in the reel as you're about to make your first cast - nothing in my opinon!!

I make no excuse for being a fussy bu**er so I have to accept I will spend more time cleaning gear, than most.

Having said all of that, I still find winding new line onto a reel something of a pain! (Just as well the wife helps with holding the new spool)

Gawd 'I nearly forgot; Rerolling the umbrella to get it back into its bag!! Grrrrrr

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Re-elasticating topkits is a doddle, I have used this method for years. .. Pull winder bung from bottom of section slacken elastic off, cut elastic at stonfo/dacron connector. Put a dab of superglue on end of new elastic after pre stretching it, join new elastic to old, pull through sections until all new elastic is through. Cut old off and discard, attach to winder bung and stonfo/dacron connector and that's it. it will work with puller bungs in situ and side puller set ups.I don't mind making pole rigs up either, I do batches at a time of same size float that way you have an idea on what shotting they will take. Such as a 4x8 float will take 2 No 11 + 2 No12 or 5 No12 + 1No13... A 4x10 float is either 2 No8 or 2 No 9 + 3 No 12

Reaction score
Glad to say that I'd rather used 'skilled' methods;),where you actually cast a bait in position,rather than just place it,so my poles rarely see daylight,everyone to they're own mind,I think it's an age thing where you would rather fish using the methods you like and enjoy and sod the rest,lol.