Christmas Past

J

Jim Crosskey 2

One word Kev - beautiful. As a once-eleven year old recipient of the unobtainable item of my desire (a carbon match rod in 1981!) this had me choked from the start.

The Monk

Reaction score
what a lovely story kevin, well written mate as usual/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Damn you Perkins!

Here am I, supposedly a hard-nosed, iron-arsed oilman with a bloody lump in my throat the size of a wallnut!

Bloody good 'read' though!

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Thanks all

Sorry I've been away for a while, but given your kind comments about this piece, perhaps I should concentrate on quailty rather than quanity articles from now on.

Maybe less really is more.....!

R

Robert Woods

I remember wishing I had the rod I saw in local pet shop...Forshaws 12ft fibre glass with brass ferrules...got it for my birthday in time for fishing season.../forum/smilies/party_smiley.gif.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

A lovely story Kevin and one that rings so true to me that it brought tears to my eyes.

I was 10 when I got my first real fishing rod for Christmas. It was a 12ft three piece made from tomkin canewith the top section of split cane and with agate butt and tip rings. It was a complete suprise and on boxing morning my dad took me to a local lake where I christened my new rod with some small roach and gudgeon.

It was years later that I realised that at the time money was tight and my parents had not really been able to afford it but knowing how mad I was about fishing they had somehow managed to scrape the money together.

What we tend to forget at Christmas is that there are still many kids out there who, for various reasons, will not be experiencing all the fun and excitement of that special day nor be getting the latest toys, games consoles and other expensive presents that most kids get these days.

Geoff D

Reaction score
Fabulous tale Kevin. I feel you mighthave known me as a child!

It could almost have been a perfect biography of my life in 1966 'ish. The main difference being that the rod was an Edgar Seally Blue Match, which was propped up in the corner of my bedroom on Christmas morning when I woke up.

I went out after pike yesterday with all my fancy Shimanos and Free Spirit rods, but no rod was ever so proudly ownedas that lovely old 'Seally.

Dads dead and gone and Mum's on her way, but that Christmas remains one of my strongest childhood memories.

Happy Christmas all.

J K

Reaction score
Lovely read Kevin.

My old dad was like that, could turn his hand to most things, bl**dy had to though as he never had much money when I was a lad. Although I never got bought a "proper" fishing rod he made me one out of a Tank Aeriel.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Beautiful written Kevin, well done (please don't tell anyone but I had a tear rolling down my face).....a reminder of what Christmas is really about.

Also is shows how spoiled kids are these days....they expect only the best and most expensive presents. Sadly the 'real' value and meaning of Christmas has long been gone and turned in to nothing but a commercial.

Mark Lewis 7

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>J K (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Lovely read Kevin.

My old dad was like that, could turn his hand to most things, bl**dy had to though as he never had much money when I was a lad. Although I never got bought a "proper" fishing rod he made me one out of a Tank Aeriel. </blockquote>

I think we may be brothers. I had a Tank ariel rod too and the bag was made from a bit of barrarge balloon. but it fished like a dream. i think Kevin touched a little bit of us all with that tale, well done Kev

Reaction score
I have only just read your article .....on purpose , I knew it would be a tear jerker and I was right .

No thoughts of a flash rod when I was a kid , I didn`t fish untill I was 12 , but the very hard up parents scraping up enough money to buy their kids a present , while going without theirselves , struck a nerve with me , I remember it well .

A great story Kevin , well done mate .

B

Bill Cox

Youv'e been sorely missed on FM kevin, you have a gift mate. I like to think i can write but you are an artist long may you keep it coming. I can certainly relate to the little boy in the story as my own childhood was similar in a lot of ways. I'm not ashamed to admit to shedding a tear or two. Welll done mate

Happy new year to you

Bill