Oxtail soup, any lumps?

P

Paul Hawkins

Just walked the Bristol Avon around Christian Malford. Bombing through the colour of my mum's tea.
I'm new in the area. I know Lacock and Chippenham have prolific Barbel stretches but haven't, as yet, gleaned much information on Barbel distribution this little bit further up, although logic assumes there are some fish.
Unfortunately, it's not conjucive to spotting at the moment and I'm desperate to explore locally but would appreciate any pointers to help with a Xmas to back end Barbel pursuit.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Paul

I fish Christian Malford and have had barbel, best 9-14. However they are few and far between and you have to put in a good few hours, mainly into darkness, to have any kind of success. Don't go far from the road bridge. There is a patrolling shoal there when there is a bit of water around. In summer they tend to hold out in the weir pool on the syndicate stretch and drop down as far as the road with extra water and oxygen. I haven't caught them anywhere else and I don't think there any in the upper stretch above the weir. At least I haven't heard of any. Big bream and tench though....

P

Paul Hawkins

Thanks for that Dave!
Very encouraging.
12 1/2 pound tench???
I've walked below the bridge, a few hundred yards passed the church. Must look a treat in the summer?
Didn't get my ticket till end September despite having moved this way last Xmas.
Hope to drop a bait or two in there after Xmas up till season end.
Cheers,
Paul.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Paul

I have heard of tench into double figures and also bream between 8 and 10 pound, but have not witnessed them. I have though personally had chub to 4-10 and perch pushing 3lb (see the last Purely for Pleasure article on this site!) as well as the barbel. If you know how to fish it, it's a cracking stretch of river. Hopefully if the water continues to fall I shall be there Monday...