Dubbin

flightliner

Reaction score
I used it for my walking boots as a young man but it seemed to dissapear in my neck of the woods decades back.
Shopping today I came access a jar and bought it has I rate it highly for leather boots .
Curious back home I googled it and Wikipedia gives its recipe.
I was a little surprised when it said it's sometimes made with mink oil .

peterjg

Reaction score
I'd forgotten all about Dubbin. One Xmas when I was a kid I was given a leather football (old fashioned type with lace up bladder) and I used to polish it with Dubbin.

nottskev

Reaction score
You can still get it, I think, although this tin is not new!

I like my shoes soft but not shiny.

flightliner

Reaction score
Peterjg, it was essential to keep those old style "caseys" as soft as possible otherwise it could be a visit to the A and E.
Kev, I came upon this Dubbin in Boundary mills quite by accident, always rated it so now I know who sells it I'll be buying more-- watch out Mink !

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Neetsfoot oil is used for horse tack, but I use it on boots/leather and find it better than dubbin.

dave m

Reaction score
Look for a product called Leder Gris, its 70% wax and 30% oil and is highly recommended by the outdoors and mountain types.
I have used it on my boots and its very nice. 20181029_202522.jpg

carpinbob

Reaction score
That’s a blast from the past, used it on my leather football all the time back in the 70s.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
I remember when more expensive products like Nikwax first appeared, staff in outdoor equipment shops would solemnly tell you that you shouldn't use dubbin to waterproof boots as it "rots the stitiching". Never did any harm to mine, so I think rot may have been what they were talking...

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Having never heard of "Neetsfoot" oil ( wtf is a neet anyway ?) I had to look it up. Only Northerners could come up with something like that....I mean who in their right mind boils up shin and feet bones on the offchance it might do a job on their boots ?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I find nearly all waxes just come off in wet grass, so they're all pretty shyte imo.
I think the modern silicone sprays may be worth a look.

mikench

Reaction score
I use Urad mr Jo jo for leather shoes and boots! It can also be used on leather chairs but on the latter I use Renapur on boots , leather car seats and sofas!

flightliner

Reaction score
Having never heard of "Neetsfoot" oil ( wtf is a neet anyway ?) I had to look it up. Only Northerners could come up with something like that....I mean who in their right mind boils up shin and feet bones on the offchance it might do a job on their boots ?
It might have been his southern cousin skip who was very thirsty and was the very first person to think that he could slake it by sucking on a cows teat !:wh

Last edited:

liphook

Reaction score
Who on earth thought of diluting perfectly good ale with lemonade?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs

Ah but it is Southerners shin and feet bones we boil up, Stops the buggers trying to come up north.

mikench

Reaction score
watch the video above posted by Wetthrough!

Looks amazing stuff but at a price!:) £166 for 500 ml!!!!