Bait Boats

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
one of the clubs I am in has decided to trial bait boats on some waters. this has caused a bit of controversy. Some of the waters do not warrant using one due to a good chuck with a feeder will put you on the far side. They were last trialed a few years ago, but one or two idiots decided to put them across where people where fishing. The club is charging 50 quid for a boat user licence,half refunded if the member leaves the club. if the trial is cut short members get a full refund.A few members think it is a revenue exercise. I think if you cant cast at distance you will struggle to fish at distance.Also us bailiffs have to check if the boat users are not fishing in out of bound areas. What are your views on bait boats ? For or Against ?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I own a bait boat and use it where and when it is not easily possible to bait and cast to certain spots.

Compared to some anglers who repeatedly cast noisy spods one could argue it is a lot less of a disturbance, both to the fish as well as other anglers.

I only use it where it is within the rules of a fishery and certainly not to reach areas that are off limits to fishing.

Due to the relative high cost I do think that there is a degree of 'green eye' that often creeps into the bait boat debate.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
One of my concerns is that I have seen anglers struggle to land fish of around 10lb from a few rod lengths out, so if they decide to use a baitboat I think they would really struggle to play fish and land them. I do not specimen fish so green eye does not come into for me, fish welfare does though. When it was last trialed, those who abused the usage gave all the other anglers a bad name,it is the same as when those who overnight and abide by the rules are tarred with the same brush as those who abuse the rules by leaving litter and empty beer tins. As for cost I think if an angler wants something he will buy it either new or 2nd hand.

mikench

Reaction score
Not for me! If I can't cast to a spot I don't fish it! Usually however I could go to the other side of the lake and plop it in!

Surely , unless the water is vast or empty of anglers, you will be fishing in someone else's swim!

stillwater blue

Reaction score
One of my concerns is that I have seen anglers struggle to land fish of around 10lb from a few rod lengths out, so if they decide to use a baitboat I think they would really struggle to play fish and land them.

But it's easy to cast more than a few rod lengths. IME fish hooked at distance rarely seem to do that much, the worst thing they can do is kite as it's hard to stop them kiting. I really don't think you need to worry

nottskev

Reaction score
I haven't got any electric fishing aids, and I'm happy to leave bait boats, bite alarms, fish finders etc to others.

But I can't see why they shouldn't use them, subject to the usual limits, rules etc.

You don't need a bait boat to intrude in other anglers' swims; one of many reasons I avoid most commercials is anglers' inability to keep their method feeders to themselves or fish the bit of the island that "belongs" to their peg. And you can cast into off-limits water without a bait boat. Are they really likely to increase existing infringements?

I do hope, though, that we won't see a fashion for anglers filming their fishing with drones. Who wants to fish with these in the air nearby?

Reaction score
I don't like bait boats because they are available to all,inconsiderate idiots included,there are many 'anglers' who would abuse the privilege to the cost of others,also as is common with all anglers fishing at the most extreme range,or the most awkward spot,fish need areas where they can avoid baits,acceptance of that would be a big step forward.As for anglers having to be policed by a bailiff,no chance,as soon as nobody is about these tools will chug they're gear into position,be in no doubt on that...

sam vimes

Reaction score
I don't, and probably won't, use a bait boat. However, there's nothing intrinsically wrong with them. As ever with an inanimate object, it's the individual using it that's either a problem, or not.

Used responsibly, bait boats are absolutely fine. I'd certainly rather have someone using a baitboat properly near me than someone spodding similar amounts of bait with less accuracy. Even someone set up for heavy bag work that's not the most accurate caster in the world is more of a problem.

John Keane

Reaction score
one of the clubs I am in has decided to trial bait boats on some waters. this has caused a bit of controversy. Some of the waters do not warrant using one due to a good chuck with a feeder will put you on the far side. They were last trialed a few years ago, but one or two idiots decided to put them across where people where fishing. The club is charging 50 quid for a boat user licence,half refunded if the member leaves the club. if the trial is cut short members get a full refund.A few members think it is a revenue exercise. I think if you cant cast at distance you will struggle to fish at distance.Also us bailiffs have to check if the boat users are not fishing in out of bound areas. What are your views on bait boats ? For or Against ?

I’m not rejoining that same club in 2019, they are allowing bait boats and increasing dog permits! They’ve given up excellent sections of river on the Dane and totally ruined a lovely little old farm pond venue by tree cutting and peg engineering. It’s morphing into a carp club so, like one of the dragons in the den, “I’m out!”

Two of the “Wild West” carp waters in the club are easy to cast right across and are a constant source of aggravation due to illegal feeding and baiting, illegal rigs, fishing out of bounds in the snags, fishing beyond the allowed time, “time-sharing” with mates taking your swim when you have to leave and even using the same tackle. I would think putting bait boats into the hands of some of those kn*bheads will be the straw that breaks the camel’s back.

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
Absolute no no for me.

Everyone will have a line as to what they deem to be sporting or not. For me a bait boat crosses that line.

I have no problems anyone else using them if the rules allow. However if I was setting the rules they would be banned.

I am surprised no one has said it yet so I’ll say it - I recon they are cheating !

terry m

Reaction score
Thus far I have never felt the need to use a boat. If venues and conditions dictated and rules permitted I would have no qualms in buying and using one.

Cheating? Not in my view. If boats are cheating then what about bite alarms, spods, spombs, method feeders, self hook rigs, multiple rods, blah blah.

Live and let live.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
But it's easy to cast more than a few rod lengths. IME fish hooked at distance rarely seem to do that much, the worst thing they can do is kite as it's hard to stop them kiting. I really don't think you need to worry
the pools I am on about cant be fished at a distance, A good cast with a waggler will get you across one side, the narrow end is about 14 metres wide, and a method feeder will cast from end to end. I lifted into a carp of around 10lb on my pole, balanced tackle with 17h elastic at the same time the carp angler got his, 12 foot 2lb tc rod 4010 baitrunner heavy line. I landed mine quicker than he did, then I had to go and help him net his, That is the type of angler I am concerned about.

Keith M

Reaction score
I have nothing against the use of bait boats at all, and certainly don’t think that the use of one is cheating in any way, as it is just a tool that can help an angler place his groundbait and hook bait very accurately in a tight spot (often tight up to features at distance) when it’s necessary.

I do however believe that they definately should not be used on any waters where they can be deemed a nuisance or hindrance to any one else who is fishing the water; and I can see the point of banning their use on waters like this.

For example I would have no qualms when using one on a large reservoir when no-one is nearby to annoy, and there was a genuine reason to use one.

Keith

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
I was a new member (left after 2 years) of a club that allowed bait boats. I was fishing one of their lakes (16 acres) when one night I got up and I couldn't believe my eyes, there were all these LED lights criss crossing the lake, it was like a mini regatta! There were all these dopey carp anglers (trying to be sneaky) placing their hookbaits and freebees in other peoples swims! Brilliant, totally hilarious! I laughed my head off.

Actually, if used sensibly, bait boats are ok on larger waters where there are not too many anglers and as Peter Jacobs has already said I would rather someone used a baitboat than spent ages spodding.

Philip

Reaction score
My objection to bait boats is about the ethics rather than anything about interferance with other anglers.

I think a basic requirement of "angling" is that the hookbait bait should be cast, with certain specific caveats, bait boats not being one of them.

I wonder what people would think if people started to use mini subs with cameras on their lakes ..is that still acceptable angling ?

We can push the boundaries further and further until one day someone decides trawling a net behind a boat is acceptable angling .......yes thats an OTT example to make the point.

Unfortunatly as this thread bears out, bait boats appear to have managed to get themselves over the line of unsporting and into acceptable territory for the majority of anglers.

I find it quite sad.

Reaction score
Like rowing a bait 300yds,obscene...

sam vimes

Reaction score
My objection to bait boats is about the ethics rather than anything about interferance with other anglers.

I think a basic requirement of "angling" is that the hookbait bait should be cast, with certain specific caveats, bait boats not being one of them.

I wonder what people would think if people started to use mini subs with cameras on their lakes ..is that still acceptable angling ?

We can push the boundaries further and further until one day someone decides trawling a net behind a boat is acceptable angling .......yes thats an OTT example to make the point.

Unfortunatly as this thread bears out, bait boats appear to have managed to get themselves over the line of unsporting and into acceptable territory for the majority of anglers.

I find it quite sad.

It largely comes down to an individual choice. If you think that accurate casting is the essence of angling, then you might not be pleased to see that skill negated, especially if it sees a hard won advantage lost. However, whilst I'm happy enough with my skill level in this regard, I'll never better the accuracy of a bait boat. I rather doubt that even the very best casters could.

I don't happen to believe that casting is the be all and end all of angling. I've witnessed just how valuable a bait boat can be to an already skilled angler. I've also seen poor anglers use them to very little effect. They might negate the limited casting skills of an angler, but they don't make a poor angler good. Sure, he can drop a bait on a sixpence, at ranges or with accuracy well beyond his casting ability, but if he's not good enough to work out which sixpence to drop it on, it's a rather expensive waste of time.

In some respects, I'd rather an angler use a boat than 3.5lb+ TC casting rods, dirty great leads/bags, spods and markers. Boats are far less intrusive for others on the water, provided they aren't being driven by a moron.

I don't tend to view fishing as a competition, so I struggle with the concept of boats being cheating, especially when there are no rules. I chose/choose not to use a boat, but that's largely down to the significant expense of the set up I'd want and my current lack of interest in "proper" carping, or any type of legering. If I got serious about carping again, and actually had a couple of grand free, I'd have one in a shot.

Philip

Reaction score
It largely comes down to an individual choice. If you think that accurate casting is the essence of angling, then you might not be pleased to see that skill negated, especially if it sees a hard won advantage lost. However, whilst I'm happy enough with my skill level in this regard, I'll never better the accuracy of a bait boat. I rather doubt that even the very best casters could.

I don't happen to believe that casting is the be all and end all of angling. I've witnessed just how valuable a bait boat can be to an already skilled angler. I've also seen poor anglers use them to very little effect. They might negate the limited casting skills of an angler, but they don't make a poor angler good. Sure, he can drop a bait on a sixpence, at ranges or with accuracy well beyond his casting ability, but if he's not good enough to work out which sixpence to drop it on, it's a rather expensive waste of time.

In some respects, I'd rather an angler use a boat than 3.5lb+ TC casting rods, dirty great leads/bags, spods and markers. Boats are far less intrusive for others on the water, provided they aren't being driven by a moron.

I don't tend to view fishing as a competition, so I struggle with the concept of boats being cheating, especially when there are no rules. I chose/choose not to use a boat, but that's largely down to the significant expense of the set up I'd want and my current lack of interest in "proper" carping, or any type of legering. If I got serious about carping again, and actually had a couple of grand free, I'd have one in a shot.

Your missing the point. Its not about competition or worrying that any advantage good casting may have given you will be negated by others using a boat. Anyone who worries that much about what others catch would quickly get themselves a boat I imagine.

Its to do with the acceptable line of what defines reasonable or sporting angling. For example I cited the bait having to be cast as one but there are lots of others. For example, I think rod and line must be used.

Another example, I would not consider hand lining as “angling” . Would you ?

....& if not why not ? ….there is a hook, bait & line involved …you could even stick it on a bait boat and float it out there. Would you argue that this was ok ?

Everyone has an acceptable line and Bait boats cross mine.

Last edited: