Setting yourself a challenge.

JohnSLocker

Reaction score
Have a nice day and enjoy your weekend.

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
I've got a challenge for you..... STOP weighing fish by hooking the scales in the gills. A simple carrier bag from any of the supermarket will cost you 5p won't break the bank will it! Weighs about an ounce, folds up to next to now't fits in the smallest of pockets.
So do you think you can rise to this challenge of fish welfare or what?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
if that roach had been caught on any of our club waters using a set up like that and weighing it like that, your challenge would have been to stop yourself from being thrown in. The anti angling brigade would have a field day with that video, also you could face prosecution under the protection of wildlife act.

JohnSLocker

Reaction score
I've got a challenge for you..... STOP weighing fish by hooking the scales in the gills. A simple carrier bag from any of the supermarket will cost you 5p won't break the bank will it! Weighs about an ounce, folds up to next to now't fits in the smallest of pockets.
So do you think you can rise to this challenge of fish welfare or what?

Wow, someone must have rattled your cage today. Valid point and I will endeavour to bring a carrier bag with me in future. I hope you have a nice day and enjoy your weekend. Thankyou for commenting.

JohnSLocker

Reaction score
if that roach had been caught on any of our club waters using a set up like that and weighing it like that, your challenge would have been to stop yourself from being thrown in. The anti angling brigade would have a field day with that video, also you could face prosecution under the protection of wildlife act.

I take that this is obviously something you are passionate about, but guys come on. Point made, and as for being so dramatic as trying to throw someone in the water I think we’re being a bit extreme. There is no wonder coarse anglers fall out with each other so much. Life is a learning curve. And as for prosecution under the cruelty to wildlife act. I think you have a very good imagination. Thankfully for both of it seems I wasn’t on your club water. I was fishing in a beck behind a reservoir on private land. Enjoy your day. :)

JohnSLocker

Reaction score
regarding weighing of fish by using the gills.
how would you like it if someone put a meathook through your lips or cheek and
hauled you up to weigh you. ?

Are you honestly asking that? As an angler who catches fish with a hook? Come on. Leave it out.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I only started sea fishing last Summer and having watched many videos, it appears to me that a very different culture exists where the absence of unhooking mats, weigh slings etc seems quite common.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
read up on the act and learn. I couldn't give a toss where you are fishing, it boils down to cruelty and giving the anti angling brigade including Peta, ammunition against anglers. And as for throwing in ,it does happen, Like you said, life is a learning curve and it seems you have a lot to learn.

The bad one

Reaction score
Wow, someone must have rattled your cage today. Valid point and I will endeavour to bring a carrier bag with me in future. I hope you have a nice day and enjoy your weekend. Thankyou for commenting.
Yes careless anglers who put videos on fishing sites without practicing the simples of fish welfare procedures.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I would also make sure my kids had a life preserver on if they were that close to water. All it takes is a couple of seconds lack of concentration on your part and he could be in the water.

Reaction score
Excuse me,but sticking a weighing scale hook in a fish's gill is a bit different to hooking one in the mouth with a fish hook,or don't you know they breath with their gills...incredible!

steve2

Reaction score
Excuse me,but sticking a weighing scale hook in a fish's gill is a bit different to hooking one in the mouth with a fish hook,or don't you know they breath with their gills...incredible!

I have a challenge for you go fishing on fish welfare grounds, stop going fishing.Then we wont have anymore of these posts about fish welfare and how fish like having hooks stuck into them.

mikench

Reaction score
Out ôf interest did the video on this post and earlier ones ask you to subscribe ! I bet he hadn't reckoned on the reaction his video generated!

Reaction score
Bo11ocks,if it was all to do with catching I'd set nets,spear fish,or night lines,it's stupidity like that,that makes this forum a joke,nobody said that catching fish on a hook was humane,but weighing one on a scales hook is a disgrace,as you well know...:disillusionment:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I have a challenge for you go fishing on fish welfare grounds, stop going fishing.Then we wont have anymore of these posts about fish welfare and how fish like having hooks stuck into them.

like most anglers on here, I will use barbless hooks, easier to get out, I will unhook a fish and have it back in the water, without it flapping around on a unhooking mat, mine are unhooked in the landing net across my legs, then straight back in the water.No one has said that fish like having hooks stuck into them.I do know though that I have caught the same fish a couple of times in one session, on the same bait and in the same swim. By the way do you eat fish whether it be trout ,salmon, or sea fish. ?