Spodding

P

Paul Williams

OK OK.....i know bream aint you lots fav fish of all time but i have just come back from a bream session on a largish pit, normally i use my small car topable dingy to bait but they were banned on this water and i had "spod" my bait out (bloody frustrating when the bream are 80yds out and the wind is blowing hard into your face and you can only hit 50yds!!)
The wind though was one of the obstacles i have come to accept but what really had me ripping my hair out was how long spods DON'T last!!! using largish ones when there was a lull in the wind i found they were dropping to pieces.....fox, gardener, and giant all started to drop to pieces....the only one that didn't was an old model of the type made by Merv Wilkinson...the others were thrown up the bank!!
My question is do you regular spodders have the same trouble or am i just heavy handed and can you reccomend spods up to the job? other wise i've gotta make some more like Mervs!!

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Get Merv to make you a couple more Paul, seems like they are up to the job unlike the others. Probably more spent on the packaging than thought on design!!!
Can see the frustration though, there suckers to move when they pre occupied in an area too.
Where you fishing??????????
;o)

R

Rodney Wrestt

Paul,
I don't think you are alone in your finding as just about every picture of a spod (not one which is for advertising within a feature, but a real live used one) I've seen has been reinforced with electrical tape.

P

Paul Williams

Warren...tell you when i bump into you, i know i will sometime!........ it was just a one off visit,wasted a night though when the bailiff told us where to fish!.....after much plumbing it didn't feel right so moved the second night and found fish.

G

Gary Knowles

Paul,

I've found the large gardner rockets are the best i've used up to now. I've nor seen the 'Merv' ones though !

P

Paul Williams

Gary,
They were the best of the ones i tried too, but they did open up a little and it seemed to knock them off flying true, perhaps a little tape as Rodney suggests would have helped but then it makes it hard work reeling em back!

S

Stuart Johnson

Just to repeat what Paul has said as two of the spods were mine and were used for the first time last weekend. The giant spod lost its fins and on the fox rockateer
the retaining line thingy(don't know the proper name) just came un glued. For what they cost you would expect them to last a bit longer than 20 mins. Bloody anoying

S

Steve Plant

Paul, when you say that taping the spod would make them harder to retrieve, I assume you mean the spods with the holes in. The Gardner spods me & GK use are the yellow pocket rocket ones - no holes (except in the end!), three sizes, small, large, extra large - have used them for several seasons now and have yet to have one break on me. They are as good as new to be quite honest. Be careful when spodding "wet" particles, they take a little bit longer to empty so don't wind in straight away.
Fox spods sound like housebricks when they enter the water, with a little practice you can make the pocket rockets land so much more gently on the surface, which makes me feel a little bit better about the whole spodding business.
Have to agree with you though, how much easier is it to bait up from a boat?

Steve.

P

Paul Williams

Stu.....i made up for recking your spods...i let you buy me a grill!!....to learn the technique chapter two of Grahams new book ;)
Steve, i know the sort, i had one of the small ones in my rucka but it would have taken forever to bait up....gallon of dead mags....loads of hemp,seeds,pellets etc, i will take a look at the bigger model, cheers....personally the splash doesn't bother me, i tend to bait heavily and then go for a walk/meal hoping to hold the shoal when they decide to get their heads down......if the pesky carp don't mop it all up! ;).......perhaps i should have posted on the coarse section!!

S

Steve Plant

It's not just disturbing the fish. When I arrive for a nights breaming, usually after work, to be honest it's a rush job to get set up, bait in, lines marked etc. The spodding is done at what should be the "quiet time", that hour or two before dark when the lake is flat calm, fish dimpling the surface and when you should be relaxing into the session, beer in hand and looking out for big black backs rolling over in your swim.
Repeated launching of a spod does not do much to enhance the mood of a nice summer evening!
And if someone is in the next swim down, I don't suppose it does much for them either...

A

andrew jackson

The trick is to feather the spod and a spit second before impact give the rod a gentle tug, this pancakes the spod resulting in significantly less disturbance. Even the largest of spods can be touched down fairly lightly with practice.

R

Roto is mr grumpy

cmon lads why anyone would want to catch a snottie is beyond me :)

S

Steve Plant

cmon lads why anyone would want to catch a carp is beyond me:)

S

Stuart Johnson

McWilliams, you have read the book. Then there is no chance know then of getting a pint then.

G

Gary Knowles

Roto - Steve is both, a northern and brain damaged !!!!

but i do agree with him, Big bream v fat carp - no contest mate....

P

Paul Williams

masocists?......but hey if we want easy theres always carp ;)

S

Steve Plant

Roto, that carp you're holding on your photo would make a mighty fine bream. Just imagine all that snot.... Lovely!