Need some suggestions for my new hobby

Apoixerko

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am completely new to this forum, but have been fishing since I was able to walk, my granddad used to take me and my brother to fish for all sorts of fish.
Recently me and my brother decided to start filming our little fishing trips. Bought all the necessary equipment we needed and did a lot of research...and then started a YouTube channel along with a Facebook channel.

To cut the story short, we are not getting much attention. I can honestly say, I am not here writing soulless posts just to get as many views and likes as possible.
I am here because I think we deserve a bit more of an audience and I would also like to share our work and passion.

Many of my friends even those without any knowledge about fishing or filming said that it looks pretty good and it is nicely done, so the whole thing confuses the hell out of me.
I will take any criticism and I am open to any ideas or suggestions.

Well, have a look and let me know.
Thank you all for your time

Erik

Here is a link for video where we went fishing in Cornwall...

Link to our Facebook page:
JMarek - Home | Facebook

YouTube Channel:
YouTube

robbush

Reaction score
Hi,the actual filming look so pretty good,but for me personally I watch fishing vids to find out different approaches and tactics to catching various species of fish.i am all for catch and release,no matter what the species and don't really want to watch them being killed and gutted ,just my personal opinion

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi Erik

I watched your video and my thoughts are similar to the previous post.

I’d like to know what you caught, how you caught it and what tackle you used. I’m not really sure who this video would appeal to.

I found the music irritating, overly powerful.

What you do have though is a talent to produce some stunning photography, did you shoot the drone scenes yourself?

I’m also interested in the equipment used to produce your video, I’d like to see details of your gear listed below your video.

Decide what type of audience you want to attract, think about the content they want to see and with your technical skills I’m sure you could become a popular vlogger given time.

Keith M

Reaction score
I enjoyed the video, especially because it was taken in a part of the country where I myself used to live and fish many years ago.

I don’t have any problems with ‘catch to eat’ where sea fishing is concerned :) although I do return any Bass that I catch (because of their recent demise) and also all undersized fish that I catch.
And I have always returned (alive) any ‘excess’ fish that I have caught too.

Well done, I think that was a good video and well filmed as well, and I could almost taste that Pollock too :hungry:

Keith

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
Watched your Million Dollar Fishing Part 1. You do know that you shouldn’t throw wrasse back don’t you? Despite the vigour of the fight they are quite delicate and don’t take the shock of hitting the water well, (or being dropped) especially broadside on.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
An excellently made and filmed video. However it's about cooking fish and making coffee on a beach, the actually fishing content is minimal.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Pretty much the same as above, nice filming, panoramic shots. underwater, cant fault that, brilliant but not any detail. I get the feeling you have made a video for family and friends- us having fun on holiday - who of course are going to like it.
A title that says what it is, Rock fishing in Britain, cooking sea fish on the shore kind of thing, that would get the attention of sea anglers. Catch the wildlife, some history of the places you fish as a bit of added extra, a bit of internet research, where were you fishing exactly, I dont want to have to look it up, a map with an arrow maybe. What are the biggest fish caught in the area, what did that fishing boat come back with. It would just all be a bit more interesting and I would want to be looking at the next one and maybe so would more people and keep in mind fish welfare and safe sea fishing, videos for general public have a bit of civic reponsibility attached, something thats becoming a bigger issue now with facebook particually..
Don't be disheartened, I enjoyed it; just needs a bit more thought, keep going, these things are all a learning process.

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am completely new to this forum, but have been fishing since I was able to walk, my granddad used to take me and my brother to fish for all sorts of fish.
Recently me and my brother decided to start filming our little fishing trips. Bought all the necessary equipment we needed and did a lot of research...and then started a YouTube channel along with a Facebook channel.

To cut the story short, we are not getting much attention. I can honestly say, I am not here writing soulless posts just to get as many views and likes as possible.
I am here because I think we deserve a bit more of an audience and I would also like to share our work and passion.

Many of my friends even those without any knowledge about fishing or filming said that it looks pretty good and it is nicely done, so the whole thing confuses the hell out of me.
I will take any criticism and I am open to any ideas or suggestions.

Well, have a look and let me know.
Thank you all for your time

Erik

Here is a link for video where we went fishing in Cornwall...

Link to our Facebook page:
JMarek - Home | Facebook

YouTube Channel:
YouTube

Just a couple of short points about what you said in your opening post. This forum is very different to YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and the rest of the dross that constitutes social media. I don’t think anyone puts up “soulless” posts but contributes content that enquires, helps, informs, amuses or debates. Nobody does it for “likes” which are just incidental to the process.

Your video is well photographed and well edited but I wouldn’t watch it again on the merits of its angling content.

mikench

Reaction score
I would echo the comments of everyone so far! You looked as though you were enjoying the fishing, the countryside and the filming which is all that really matters! The content and editing were good and it wasn't too long! It's the fishing content that interests me ie where your fished, how you fished, the bait you used etc. Photography and film making are a skill which I do not possess but you do so enjoy the combination but like showing your holiday pics to Auntie Joan , don't expect a review like Barry Norman!:)

I know you probably like to travel light and a simple wood fire on the beach using driftwood and rocks works perfectly and I do this myself! Have a look at a Cobb Bbq!

Good luck and thanks for posting!

Apoixerko

Reaction score
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts. I read all the comments couple of times to remember it well.

I should have mentioned, that the channel is more about, let's say, 'life-style'...to get out there, spend time in nature, catch something, eat something (not from tesco), show the scenery, tell little story, doesn't have to be verbally.

It's not so much about educating other fisherman how to catch the fish. We struggle to catch something ourselves very often :)
I personally believe there is an endless amount of videos about techniques and lures on YouTube already. Either sponsored by companies, where they are trying to push their own brand, or by someone sharing their own experience.
An endless amount of women fishing of an expensive yacht with a thumbnail of their perfect bottom, for the purposes of getting as many views from men, as possible, which I find very lame.
An endless amount of 'GoPro attached to chest' videos, where the person is casting for 90% of the time in the video and at the end shows small mackerel.

There is of course an endless amount of absolutely stunning videos, perfectly done, including every aspect that people want to watch every time they release a new video. No doubt.

What I am trying to say is, in our group of videos, there are a way worse videos with terrible sound, terrible resolution quality, no editing what so ever and they are doing so much better.
And I am trying to find the reason. Surely it's not coincidence, there must be something we are doing wrong.
I'm not being oblivious, it's only been over 6 months we have started, I am not expecting getting hundreds of likes and thousands of views, we are also doing this mainly as a hobby, but when I look at our video and some phone filmed videos that has a lot more views, I of course wonder why...that's all.

Thank you all for your time and thoughts again and if anyone has more ideas about how to crack this it will be much appreciated :)
All the best

Erik

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If your videos are more about lifestyle than fishing I’m not sure why you’ve come on FM to ask the opinions of dedicated anglers Erik, quite who you should be canvassing I’m not sure.

I must have missed the videos of women with perfect bottoms fishing from expensive yachts, guess that’s the ultimate “lure” fishing.:)

Apoixerko

Reaction score
It is a lifestyle that includes fishing, more like fishing lifestyle and all around it, including being outdoor by the bank, sea, pond, rivers and fishing in different places.
And I came here for help and opinions because it is predominantly about fishing...

This is what I meant by the way

Capture.jpg

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I see what you mean, there are enough how to fish vids. You still need a theme, it's not going to get many people watching just promoting a lifestyle no matter how nicely done and the theme cant just be watching fishing, something to grab the attention a bit more maybe but I dont know what.

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
I very rarely entertain youtube. To be able to pass judgment on you little clip I suffered episode one.
Really not for me. I was taught if I had nothing good to say then don't comment.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Pretty obvious this chap is trying to get hits, likes and subscribes on his videos.
That's what youtube is about.....it can make you money!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There lies the problem. I suspect those who have very popular channels like the RiverPiker, Halton Dangler, Carl and Alex to name three, did’nt start doing videos for profit but for the enjoyment.

To start video making with a business plan in mind your content has to be exceptionally good, from what we have seen from Erik’s productions so far, he has yet to find the magic ingredients to make them a hit.