Sturgeon

flightliner

Reaction score
Anyone whose read the Anglers mail this week will see a pik of a matchman holding a fifty pound plus sturgeon taken on a size sixteen hook.
It took him three quarters of an hour to land.
The venue is only a few minutes walk from my home.
How it got there is a mystery to me but apparently it's not the only one in the place.
Personally I think it would be happier in the river Trent than a commercial but there's no accounting for taste I suppose.
Anyone else know of such a large fish in a not to large a commercial?

john step

Reaction score
OI dont go on about the Trent. Its bad enough the venom that flies at the talk of the catfish.:wh:wh

flightliner

Reaction score
OI dont go on about the Trent. Its bad enough the venom that flies at the talk of the catfish.:wh:wh
John, the Trent has a history of sturgeon living in the river, one has been caught as far upstream as Thrumpton (maybe placed in the river by human hands) butthere was one at the turn of last century that naturally entered the river .
It was seen at the old A1 rd bridge where it was shot by a farmer but swam off downriver.
The next day it was found dead on a shingle beach near Carlton where a receding tide had left it hi and dry.
IT was put on display where folk were charged a penny or two to veiw it but eventually it was pushed back into the river because of it decaying.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Most of the sturgeon/sterlets in uk stillwaters are not the (once?) native species. More than the odd example have turned up in uk rivers having escaped, or deliberately released. I've certainly heard of a few turning up in the Trent and the Thames in the last ten years or so.

Reaction score
For Christ's sake Alex,did he catch it on a single squatt?

silvers

Reaction score
Bream feeder rig Alan, so assume about 2 pound hooklength.
I’ve not spoken to Adey about it, but heard the story and photo from his teammate, who was on the next peg.
Apparently, when he hooked it it came straight to the surface - followed by two others of similar size!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I caught one once, about 15 years ago in a new startup commercial, actually more a day ticket lake, big shallow with lots of weeds, lillys and a couple of islands., it was about 4lb and fought like stink. Not sure I liked it, a bit primative looking, rather a big rudd or tench if I am honest which I think is what I was fishing for, caught on luncheon meat I think.
I just looked up this place again on google and its still going but no sturgeon advertised so maybe they died or got taken out. Not sure about sturgeon in a lake, just seems not right to me like barbel in one. Still, not been back there and looks nice so might pay another visit in the summer.

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There’s a lake near me in Canterbury that has a stock of them, very easy to catch, they spend most of their day patrolling the margins hoovering up anything edible. I caught quite a few but one going just under 18lb was caught the first day I’d ever used a pole, it actually wasn’t that difficult, it just kept swimming around in circles flicking its tail out of the water. The most difficult part was getting it shoe horned into my landing net!

Molehill

Reaction score
The sort of fish you are talking about would be used as live bait in my river Towy.
Here we have true, wild monster sturgeon (Ok, slight exaggeration, we've had one). So far I have blanked, but there's always next season to land a fish over our record - did I mention - 388lbs :wh

Monster page.

Keith M

Reaction score
The occasional big Sturgeon was hooked in the Thames, the Severn, the Trent and the Don in ages past too.

www.fishing.co.uk

All the larger English rivers such as the Severn, Thames, Trent and Don held sturgeon. It is understood that Doncaster museum has a record of 90 sturgeon from the area.

Keith

Last edited:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
The occasional big Sturgeon was hooked in the Thames, the Severn, the Trent and the Don in ages past too.

www.fishing.co.uk

All the larger English rivers such as the Severn, Thames, Trent and Don held sturgeon. It is understood that Doncaster museum has a record of 90 sturgeon from the area.
Wot a brilliant well ritten artikal. Ta.

steve2

Reaction score
I was under the impression that it was illegal to stock Sturgeon into any still water in this country and that should not be put back if caught.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I was under the impression that it was illegal to stock Sturgeon into any still water in this country and that should not be put back if caught.

Things have changed over the years. There was a time that the EA didn't object to non-indigenous species, including sturgeon, being stocked into stillwaters. Then policy changed and the stillwaters had to be well away from a watercourse to prevent accidental escapes.

I know of stillwaters that have stocked sturgeon legitimately. Though the odd one wouldn't get permission now as they are too close to a watercourse.