New to Fly fishing.

Mithrandir

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have finally decided to try a bit of fluff chucking in the coming year. As a complete newbie to the "gentleman's art" I have some seriously stupid questions.

I have acquired a 7wt fly rod cheaply ( a bit on the heavy side but then I am a novice and thought it best to go strong to cover my inexperience).

I have a couple of matching reels, I was going to load one with floating line and one with intermediate, think that is a sensible approach.

Right, now for the dumb questions.

1. What strength of backing should I use with a 7WT line? ( 20 or 30 lb seem to be the options).

2. What breaking strain leader should I be using? ( I plan on trying out for trout and grayling on the hampshire avon, so I guessed about 4 lb)

3. If I am fly fishing is my coarse license valid or do I have to purchase a game licence?

4. what are the recommended knots for attaching backing to fly line, and leader to line?

5. Is a tippet the same as a leader.

6. what are the best "basic" flies to have in the box on my first few trips, do not really want to spend loads on flies that will sit in a box looking pretty.

7. Is this rod suitable for a bit of saltwater fly fishing, I fancied having a bash at some mullet on a fly.

8. should I be using a bite indicator ( seems to be a small float at the leader junction) or should I just wait for the line to race off?

Well that is all I can think of now, I am sure some of you will know, and maybe offer a few suggestions for thing I have missed.

Thanks

Mike

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Hi Mucker,

1: 30 lbs is about right - braided dacron type.

2: 4lb is rather light for leader material, 6 lb might be better. If you are fishing a river, a knotless tapered leader to 2X is a good idea, then you can tie on tippets of 4 to 6 lb. Don't go too light at first. Trout fight very hard.

3:The standard licence covers you for coarse and non-migratory trout. If you want to fish for seatrout and salmon, you will need the full game fishing licence.

4: Backing to fly line - nail knot. Leader to main line, loop to loop using braided loops "inch-wormed" up the line.

5: The tippet is actually the end bit of the leader. This can be knotted to the leader using a three turn water knot.

6: This one is almost impossible to answer. Are you going to fish still water or river?

There are perhaps a few panaceas worth looking at such as Damsel Nymph, Invicta, March Brown, Black and Peacock Spider, Sedge flies of a variety of patterns, Woolly Bugger. But to be honest I would need to know more before making a selection.

7: Definitely yes.

8: A strike indicator is certainly a nice expedient to possess.

But you do need to purchase a decent beginners book on the subject. Andmost of all, get some lessons from a competent instructor.

S

Shrek

Hi Mith,

1. 30lb backing tends to be used for salmon fishing, 20lb backing is MORE THAN AMPLE for any trout fishing.

2. 4lb tippet for river fishing is fine

3. Agree with Ron

4. Braided loop on each end of the fly line, far easier in the beginning that trying to nail know something on.

5. Agree with Ron

6. River selection would be some simple nymph patterns (GRHE, PTN, Shrimp) both weight and unweighted. Some simple dry patterns would be good too, Grey Duster and Klink hammers being my favourites.

7. Any rod is OK for saltwater fly fishing AS LONG AS you wash everything very well afterwards, otherwise the salt will corrode the rod, the reel and the line, then you're buggered.

8. Ron is a master of fishing with an indicator so his vast experience over rides anything I could offer.

To start with, just enjoy yourself on the river. Tread carefully, try not to spook the fish and let us know how you get on.

C

Colin North, the one and only

Hi Mike,

Everthing above is good advice. Once you start flyfishing, you may find that it becomes a bit addictive, and I, for one, ignored most other fishing disciplines for a number of years. Now, of course, I participate in all.

Another thing that you may get into is tying your own flies.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Ohh Mith dont start flytying, its costly and addictive, I have seven Sainsbury's bags for life full, and still tying more, send me your address on e-mail and after Xmas i will send you some, ( dont tell Bibby or Marsden ) Little Brownish Ones, I see them both peeping through the window on cold winter's evening's hoping to catch a glimpse of one being made/forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

He says he'll make us some -- but the ones he gives us are different than the ones he uses himself ......

Morespiders

Reaction score
Presentation my Dear Bibbsy ,Presentation, it's all in the twitching finger movement's./forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif

You dont get that with a drifting bung!!./forum/smilies/hot_smiley.gif

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
OMG sounds like Mith and I got a lot to learn.....as you can all imagine....Mith has to acquire everything double (dare him buying himself some new tackle and don't buy me some too...DEATH PENELTY).....

Bryan,

The book sounds a good idea, I couldn't tell one from the other insect /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Claudia and Mike,

Come on around after Christmas and we'll have a long chat, and maybe a drink or three, and Mike can pick up a selection of decent flies more suitable to the Avon.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Thank you Peter, that's very kind of you, I will give you a call after Christmas to arrange a day, I had planned to pop up to see you after Christmas anyway

Tommo!

Reaction score
Just started myself Mith.

Totally agree with you Colin, I am in my second week and have already chosen fly fishing over sitting behind a float rod ( I hope it doesn't continue).

Had my first decent Rainbow today, 20" long and a deep brown with a deep pink stripe down its flanks, beautiful fish and fought like stink.

Just bought some flies from here, being new to the club I don't know if they are great quality but until I tie my own its the cheapest I have found so far.

Good luck

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Yes, I'm afraid fly fishing for trout is very addictive.

I'll never forget my first fly caught trout, a brownie at Ladybower -oh so many years ago. As I lay that trout on the grass I knew that I was going to do a great deal of this sort of fishing in my life.

And then came that first rainbow trout, well actually it smashed my leader, I was totally unprepared for the power of that fish. And even today I am often amazed by the power of a nice overwintered rainbow that comes in looking like a bar of pure platinum (I once witnessed a bar of platinum). It's what fly fishing is all about.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Dont forget alkl the coarse species as well that love a fly. I have some wonderfull sessions catching rudd. One of my best Roach(1Ib.12)came to nymph on the river when i was just starting out(how that pissed my dad of at the time). I have had chum over 6Ib on a 18's dry and also on a large seatrout fly.

I can also recomend this book. There was also a Video. It explains how the fish see our world from theres and gives good photographic illustrations. Its been around a while but highly recomended.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trout-Fly-Brian-Clarke/dp/159228003X

Mithrandir

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the advice and the kind offers.

I am sure that when claudia and I go out and catch some fish this way we will post a little report of our exploits.

coelacanth

Reaction score
Funnily enough, I had a fly fishing "starter kit" to unwrap yesterday morning from my lady. 7 1/2' and 8 1/2' rods, 2 appropriate reels, bag, net, line and 50 assorted nymphs.

Time to go back to basics, fortunately got a friend who is experienced enough to tolerate a numpty. It was actually his idea to get this stuff, he says you can pack a whole lot of fishing into a couple of hours with a fly rod which is a more civilised and considerate way to go about it time-wise when there are other people to consider, and as the rivers North of Manchester get ever cleaner there are plenty of fish to be found.