First time on the Wye

joec87

Reaction score
Growing up as a child, no one in my family fished, so I was only ever fishing my local park lakes. As Ive gotten into adulthood I have really enjoyed fishing for carp and tench on commercials (mainly viaduct in Somerset.) Last year I caught my first 20lb carp so I'm now at a stage where I want a fresh challenge. I've fished a river twice, the Bristol Frome when I was 16 (15 years ago, that's scary!) and last year I went trotting for chub on the Bristol Avon, it was harder than a commercial (but not as hard or scary as I imagined it to be.) Mainly in terms of not being used to fishing in such wild surroundings and all the logistical problems that come with it such as snags etc, but I really loved it. So I've bought a Drennan series 7 Avon rod and booked myself a session on the wye and usk ticket this Tuesday. I feel like a child again I'm so excited!

From all the youtube stuff I've seen, I've gathered that when fishing the bomb or feeder, my rod should be pointing upwards to help negate the flow and I should be letting a little bit of line out after the feeder has hit the floor to create a bow in the line. My approach is going to be pellet based possibly with a groundbait feeder. Would anyone be kind enough to give me any general tips? Anything that I should be doing really differently to fishing for carp? I know that a lot of it will be just getting hours on the bank and getting experience, but any little tips would be gratefully received!

joec87

Reaction score
thanks Kev, I've responded twice but unsure whether they've sent!