Ad just got bigger

Specihunter

Reaction score
Angling direct have bought chapmans from Glasgow angling. Plus 2 more shops in the midlands. They missed out on fr, I wonder if they will go after Glasgow angling to break into Scotland and which other areas they will look to move into???

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
Yes it looks like a few years down the line having bought out all their rivals it will be the only place to buy tackle.
Interesting to see that their share price is now nearly 50p down on their market launch price.

seth49

Reaction score
There will be go outdoors/fishing republic in competition to them.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have never been into an Angling Direct branch, though I've been into the odd shop that is now an AD branch. Even with Chapmans becoming AD, there's still not an AD nearer than ninety miles away.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was pleasantly surprised when I paid a visit to NW Angling in Wigan after it had been taken over by AD. They didn't have quite so many float rods to look at, but still, it was much better than I thought it would have been!
They gave me a really good discount on a rod and the points they gave me for buying the rod gave me a few containers of shot etc....and those free shot gave me points for more stuff.....it was great lol.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I was pleasantly surprised when I paid a visit to NW Angling in Wigan after it had been taken over by AD. They didn't have quite so many float rods to look at, but still, it was much better than I thought it would have been!
They gave me a really good discount on a rod and the points they gave me for buying the rod gave me a few containers of shot etc....and those free shot gave me points for more stuff.....it was great lol.

I usually do there and Leigh Tackle and Bait. North West had a few rods in ranging in price from low to high, I am not sure if they will price match like they used to, but LTB still do good deals.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I usually do there and Leigh Tackle and Bait. North West had a few rods in ranging in price from low to high, I am not sure if they will price match like they used to, but LTB still do good deals.

Yeah, they're both my locals really. LTB usually give a good discount if you ask em, although they couldn't touch the discount AD did me on a daiwa rod several months back.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
There is a good deal on a Preston Absolute compact seatbox with an extra tray unit, it is down to 299 quid, that is on par or 20 quid dearer than the new preston innovations Inception seatbox. Also a 14.5 metre MAP 301 2gs pole is down to 545 from 750.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There is a good deal on a Preston Absolute compact seatbox with an extra tray unit, it is down to 299 quid, that is on par or 20 quid dearer than the new preston innovations Inception seatbox. Also a 14.5 metre MAP 301 2gs pole is down to 545 from 750.

That sounds like martian language to me Mark, i've absolutly no knowladge about seatboxes and poles.....now if you were to talk centrepin reels and float rods etc the mist would clear and we'd be talking my language :cool::w.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
That sounds like martian language to me Mark, i've absolutly no knowladge about seatboxes and poles.....now if you were to talk centrepin reels and float rods etc the mist would clear and we'd be talking my language :cool::w.

I had a look at the Guru rods in AD in Hindley, look being the word, I was frightened to take them out of the rack at the price they ask for them,I paid four figures for my pole, can whiz it behind me on pole rollers to the section I need, yet didn't fancy lifting a 300 quid rod out of the rack, Talking of centrepins I noticed a grice and young complete with box and label in a cash convertors shop at a stupid car boot price, The shop had closed for the day,so I was there just after they opened the following day and someone had beaten me to it.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I had a look at the Guru rods in AD in Hindley, look being the word, I was frightened to take them out of the rack at the price they ask for them,I paid four figures for my pole, can whiz it behind me on pole rollers to the section I need, yet didn't fancy lifting a 300 quid rod out of the rack, Talking of centrepins I noticed a grice and young complete with box and label in a cash convertors shop at a stupid car boot price, The shop had closed for the day,so I was there just after they opened the following day and someone had beaten me to it.

I'll have a nosey at those guru rods when I next call in there.
Yeaph, even the cheap poles make expensive rods look really cheap!.
Good thing the grice and youngs reel had gone, giive any others you see a wide birth!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I'll have a nosey at those guru rods when I next call in there.
Yeaph, even the cheap poles make expensive rods look really cheap!.
Good thing the grice and youngs reel had gone, giive any others you see a wide birth!

Tigger, I was in there today, they were the 300 quid daiwa rods, tried to get my mate to buy one, he nearly did until he saw the price, Last time he went mooching around the shops with me was a few weeks ago, I had got him a deal on a pole at LTB, while he was there I convinced him to get the same seatbox as me, An hour later he left the shop 850 quid lighter, today he only spent 80 quid, his wife has told him he cant go tackle shop mooching with me anymore, We both got a couple of good bargains at LTB, I think they forgot how much it should have been and we got charged more or less half price, Another mate thought he did well getting a tenner knocked off the same item a few weeks ago until I told him what we paid.
if you go to AD at Hindley have a look at their own brand of rods Advanta.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tigger, I was in there today, they were the 300 quid daiwa rods, tried to get my mate to buy one, he nearly did until he saw the price, Last time he went mooching around the shops with me was a few weeks ago, I had got him a deal on a pole at LTB, while he was there I convinced him to get the same seatbox as me, An hour later he left the shop 850 quid lighter, today he only spent 80 quid, his wife has told him he cant go tackle shop mooching with me anymore, We both got a couple of good bargains at LTB, I think they forgot how much it should have been and we got charged more or less half price, Another mate thought he did well getting a tenner knocked off the same item a few weeks ago until I told him what we paid.
if you go to AD at Hindley have a look at their own brand of rods Advanta.

I'm sure i've seen advanta gear for sale on ebay, never knew it was angling directs own brand.

I think your m8 will be skint if he keeps accompanying you to the angling shops lol.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I'm sure i've seen advanta gear for sale on ebay, never knew it was angling directs own brand.

I think your m8 will be skint if he keeps accompanying you to the angling shops lol.

He used to wait until I was selling my pole or seatbox, and buy them off me, I last bought a pole 3 years ago and I think I will be keeping it for a couple of more years. I used to sell them after 2 years, Same goes for the seatbox, I may treat myself to a new rod later this year, The Advanta rods have had good reviews in the angling press,

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He used to wait until I was selling my pole or seatbox, and buy them off me, I last bought a pole 3 years ago and I think I will be keeping it for a couple of more years. I used to sell them after 2 years, Same goes for the seatbox, I may treat myself to a new rod later this year, The Advanta rods have had good reviews in the angling press,

Gott'a ask, why sell your poles and seatboxes after 2yrs?

Fishy Fred

Reaction score
Right, a little out of place but I couldn't wotk out how to start a new thread. But, has anyone fished the Thames at henley and what success have you had?
Cheers,

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Gott'a ask, why sell your poles and seatboxes after 2yrs?

Get a better return on 2nd hand value than waiting longer, this is mainly for poles. Also one year I sold one for 400, the week after that Shimano discounted the aernos pole down from 1200 to 550,I bought one. So in effect that pole cost me 150, I had it about 3 years ,sold it with 2 repaired sections for 350, seatboxes lose value faster, A few weeks a PI absolute compact would have set you back 450 plus, last week they were down to 299 with an extra tray unit thrown in, so if you tried to sell your absolute compact last week you would be lucky to get 175. It is all down to timing in most cases. The reason the absolute compact dropped in price at the shop is that PI are discontinuing it and bring a new one out with 36mm dia legs instead of the 30mm dia that is on it now

john step

Reaction score
Go to FORUM top left. Scroll down the various categories of threads ie. sea fishing carp fishing general fishing etc.
Click that choice and you will see a blue box + NEW THREAD Off you go.

Last edited: