Broadcasting the Impossible

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Signed mate.

Also put a link up on my face book page. I think i just can not get use to it. I must be getting old.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

I think you will be banging your head against a brick wall with the BBC.

Mike Shaft is the person in charge of the complaints department. Shaft being a very opertune name when it comes to anything to do with angling. I have spoken to him in the past as regards to angling being given equal air time "for" angling as much as it is given "against" angling.

Of course my complaint was denied in the nicest possible way. So there you go.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
They get a couple of hundred complaints about strickly come dancing and everybodys jumping about. Well if we all complain they can not ignore us. I think./forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
It's worth a go and Iv'e just added my name.....but somehow I don't think 90 names will do it.............................

Lets hope a few'Names' will come forward-the Marsdens,Wintles etc(and Fred!)to name but a few......

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

READ THIS by Prof Barrie Rickards.

Somebody else, (not sure if it was Barrie or not), also said to be very carefull if you ever do an interview with the BBC about angling. They will not keep to the script during your air time. Okay, this is a pettition, but I'm sure you get the drift.

Bugger. Link not working.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

This is the relevant piece taken from Barrie's article. THE BLUNDERING BEEB.

Now we learn that one of anglings favourite media programmes, 'Fish on Five' has been cancelled by the BBC. A BBC spokeswoman said the programme did not “offer value for money”. Hang on a second… hasn't this announcement been made just after angling TV man Keith Arthur was slagged off by James Whale, Talk Sport presenter?

Apparently he suggested angling should be banned. Or does the spokeswoman for the BBC, Helen Stiles, really expect us to believe that this is a coincidence? Then he goes on to say that “Its not a case of the BBC being anti angling” Well, we never get any good news from the BBC about angling and I doubt if we ever will whilst it is run by the left wing extremists that run it today.

There's something else too. The BBC have only just had their licence renewed -personally I deeply resent having to pay £121 and were they not supposed to stop chasing ratings? Isn't that what the deeply critical review of their activities demanded? So one of the first acts is to get rid of a programme that supposedly doesn't give value for money.

The BBC is a shambles, and a deeply prejudiced one at that. It simply does not deserve its unique and protected position in broadcasting. How can we protest? Well, in the past, many of us have written letters - usually ignored. By 'us' I include our angling bodies as well as individuals. But today protests on the net seem much more effective. In the recent row over 'Jerry Springer: the opera' 20,000 sign ups to a web site caused very rapid back peddling. Whilst this kind of pressuring has its reprehensible side perhaps anglers have to get real and use the power of new technology in focussed protests.

And No. I haven't signed.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

I am NOT signing.

I will NoT go cap in hand to any bent organisation that is so blatantly against angling. Why? What do we need them for anyway?

Reaction score
I asked Dougal why he wants it broadcast on the BBC, I will open the question up to anyone that wants to answer it;

Why do you want Catching the Impossible broadcast on the BBC?

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Okay then Mark.

I challenge you to phone one of the BBC phone ins and talk to them, tell them how there is no harm in angling. They will tye you in knots and make you sound silly. Are you up for it?

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Baz (Angel of the North) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Okay then Mark.

I challenge you to phone one of the BBC phone ins and talk to them, tell them how there is no harm in angling. They will tye you in knots and make you sound silly. Are you up for it?</blockquote>

No, as I'm sure that will be the response. Which is why a petition with a large backing is abetter cause of action, get the numbers then I'll call.<blockquote class=quoteheader>Bob Bradford wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I asked Dougal why he wants it broadcast on the BBC, I will open the question up to anyone that wants to answer it;

Why do you want Catching the Impossible broadcast on the BBC?</blockquote>

I'd like to see angling on TV full stop. When a film of this quality has been made there seems little reason (in my mind) for the broadcast not to be commisioned. Comercial stations always have 'viewing figures' to fall back on as a response.

My argument is the BBC is a broadcasting service (paid for by all of us)and there for should not be driven purely by viewing figures, and should (as a public service) allocate a certian amount of air time to 'fringe' sports/activities. It seems to do this to some extent at the moment to the exclusion of angling.

Only strong lobbyingin large numbers (petitions ect) could change things as they stand.

R

Richard Drayson

I've signed. Baz is entitled to his views on the BBC and I respect his opinion, nevertheless, I'd love to see Hugh's work given the opportunity to be broadcast.

Passion For Angling did a lot to introduce non-anglers to the art of fishing, the scenery, amazing wildlife, and the poetry surrounding it. I think Catching The Impossible could very well do the same and I for one think that's worth petitioning for. Not only that, I'd like to see it on TV anyway.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Why on the BBC.

Well i think if it is shown on the BBC the it will look more agreeable than on one of the fringe channels. Also the BBC is paid for by everybody and everybody should be entitled to see a least one program that they like. Instead of more reality cheap tv crap. Were the show is paid for by the public ringing a premium line to vote for there favorite personality.

Is that to much to ask. I don't think so.