My local river in flood.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm often amused to see what people think a river in flood, or a fast pacy river looks like. More often than not, lowland rivers, even in flood, don't live up to my idea of either. The following pics might give others some insight (there's about two metres of extra water). Flood 1.jpg
Flood 2.jpg
Flood 3.jpg
Flood 4.jpg

Last edited:

rich66

Reaction score
Waters an amazing and powerful thing. The Soar, while full near me looks positively meandering compared to that. Nice pictures I like old stone work bridges.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I take it your not going trotting a worm then Chris ;).

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No, but the trout season doesn't open until the 25th anyway.

Alll these different closed seasons.....:eek:mg:

Just looked at my usual spot and the river is about 16ft up !

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I just hope the forecast for next week is accurate with benign dry weather allowing soaked land to dry out a little and rivers in spate to subside.

The ribble looks spectacular Keith in your pic.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Reminds me of the Bristol Avon FM fish-in back in 2009...

Have you any pics of the river in normal conditions which we can compare SV..

seth49

Reaction score
Finished up with a total rainfall here of two and a half inches in my gauge yesterday, the ribble nr here reached four metres in height, not a record but fairly high.

Up at locks weir at settle it reached the highest level recorded, might even have passed it a bit.
View attachment 6496

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
I'm often amused to see what people think a river in flood, or a fast pacy river looks like. More often than not, lowland rivers, even in flood, don't live up to my idea of either. The following pics might give others some insight (there's about two metres of extra water).View attachment 6490
View attachment 6491
View attachment 6492
View attachment 6493
Is that the car park at the bottom of the hill? Looks like it but the falls seem to have disappeared

Edit. Seen the later photos - thought it was there.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Is that the car park at the bottom of the hill? Looks like it but the falls seem to have disappeared

Edit. Seen the later photos - thought it was there.

Yes, just behind the low wall that's on the river side of the car park. I've seen the river a fair bit higher, I went to the school between the falls and Station bridge (downstream). I've seen the falls become a barely discernible drop and the water ver the school wall that borders the Batts (grassed area downstream of the falls).

flightliner

Reaction score
It's deep in those pic's but not in normal conditions Mick.
Ian, I was living in Bolton that year and a local suggested fishing it one Wednesday afternoon.
We shot up in my car and he said we were near Ribchester.
A big bend comes to mind and I was ledgering maggots in a swim
Where the arlesey bomb seemed to take ages before it hit bottom.
We may have been close or far from Ribchester but it was forty eight years ago .
Are there any areas near the town that are deeper than most others???
Ps, I forgot to mention that I was traumatised at the time, being the only Yorky for miles around My day was one of constantly being reminded by all the guys on the job of my county of origin so I may have been a little confused :eek:mg:

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Neil, I was living in Bolton that year and a local suggested fishing it one Wednesday afternoon.
We shot up in my car and he said we were near Ribchester.
A big bend comes to mind and I was ledgering maggots in a swim
Where the arlesey bomb seemed to take ages before it hit bottom.
We may have been close or far from Ribchester but it was forty eight years ago .
Are there any areas near the town that are deeper than most others???

Neil here :), maybe you fished upstream of Ribby on dinkley pools. Those are seriously deep!

The bad one

Reaction score
Just to put some perception on the Ribble from Saturday at 4 00 pm, it was 4.83 m up. Today Sunday it had dropped to 1.8 m at 3 00 pm. By 4.00 pm today it was most likely down to 1.4 m at the rate of dropping taking place. Eminently fishable had the season been open.
Just shows how rapidly a Northern spate can rise and fall. In 7 1/2 hours Saturday it rose more or less straight up between 5 am to 12 30 pm from 1.16 to 4.47.

seth49

Reaction score
You can blame all the land drainage for that, when I was younger the older salmon fishermen, all said that the river would be high for a week, after a good spell of rain.

Now it starts to drop almost as soon as it stops raining, it very soon runs off nowadays, when I salmon fished there would be a certain height when it fished well, if you wasn’t fishing then you more or less missed the best of the fishing, it was only a matter of hours when it was right, one good pool on the hodder there was a stone in the run, if it was just covered with water it was perfect, drop three inches from that and you’d missed the best of the fishing, there is talk of stopping some of the drains, to slow this down.