Things you have never done.

mikench

Reaction score
I freely admit I have never riddled my maggots. I wished I had recently when they were getting low, the wind was blowing and I was covered in maize.

Just bought some maggots for tomorrow without maize and looked at riddles. I couldn't bring myself to pay £14 for one . I will buy a cheap sieve.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nought wrong with a garden sieve, a fraction of the price too.

m9BKbLt.jpg

wetthrough

Reaction score
I haven't found a domestic sieve much good. It might let the maize through but they're not much good for the bran or whatever it is they sometimes come with. I was going to suggest a small pinkie riddle which I use if you're not doing a lot but I can only find this one on eBay and they want way too much for the postage! Sensas /pinkie /squatt tray and riddle atomiser small sits on a sidetray | eBay

john step

Reaction score
Me neither Mike. Couldn't be bothered. I did however find a very good method once when we had bulk maggots in Ireland.
It was very windy so we tipped one bucket of maggots from a height into another bucket on the ground.

The only trouble was we forgot to close the car door. The inside was a snowstorm of sawdust. If that wasn't so bad the dust got in the old Fiats switches and the lights would not work until they were taken out and cleaned.:eek:mg:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I will readily admit to being somewhat OCD when it comes to preparing my baits, especially maggot and pinkie and always riddle and, where wanted, flavouring both.

Good maggot and pinkie riddles are definitely needed as are good sized bait trays and clean bait boxes.

I nearly always get my maggots/pinkie a day before my trip and prepare them as soon as possible when back at home then place in the larger trays in the 'fridge.

Then only decanting them into bait boxes when leaving for the venue, and even then the bait boxes go into an insulated cold bait bag.

sam vimes

Reaction score
A riddle is good for taking out dead and turning maggots, but won't take fine maize meal off. A domestic sieve works far better for that. Not much cop if the maggots are in sawdust, or any medium that's got slightly damp.

Philip

Reaction score
Are fish that fussy ?

I consider maize and dead maggots as additional feed:)

Reaction score
My match fishing background means I riddle and sieve my maggots,even clean looking maize meal should be sieved out as it starts to smell,being tainted,skins and casters need removing and fresh maize added,everything thing should be done to improve your chances...

sam vimes

Reaction score
Are fish that fussy ?

I won't speak for anyone else, but, for me, it's about keeping maggots in good condition for as long as possible. Dead maggots festering amongst live ones is not good for the longevity of the live ones. Leave them too long and you end up with more manky dead maggots. The fish may not care, but I do, and so does my fridge. Removing excess, or old, maize is a twofold thing. Again, it comes down to preserving live maggots for as long as possible. However, the prime reason is to my own comfort. Excess maize meal gets everywhere. I don't want my gear, especially reels, covered in maize meal. I definitely down want a face full of manky maize when trying to use a catapult.

john step

Reaction score
Are fish that fussy ?

Another tongue in cheek point of view about "bits" in your feed....................

I attended a demonstration once by a world champ. match fisher. (Name of Robin Harris comes to mind).
It was marvellous the way he sieved and mixed the groundbait. He then demonstrated by throwing a ball across the room for someone to catch and throw back to him.
When he then dropped the ball into a glass bowl it puffed up nicely.

I know why he is a world champ and I am not. Life is too short.!!!

Also it amazes me how one reads of riddling grounbait AND THEN MIXING BITS OF FEED BACK IN. What the 3u*k is that all about. Has anyone asked the fish?

As I said I will never be or want to be a world champ. Life is too short. I seem to catch a few to satisfy myself without all that.

Just pass me another bag to open and use direct . More bits the merrier.:wh

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
I tried to riddle my maggots but they just looked at me weird when I did the "When is a door not a door? When it's ajar" one.

I am guilty of using the most mankiest oldest maggots known to man on the basis if the birdlife like it the fish will, never had a Robin turn round and say "wtf dude I ain't having that" but then the logic would back up those who take the time to look after their bait. There are ways of making old maggots appealing though that are quicker than riddling for lazy sods like me, plus old maggots work really well in sub zero temps ;)

Never caught a Zander either, loads of folk are catching little ones my stretch of canal, I haven't the heart to tell them they are Ruffe :D

Reaction score
Never caught a trout on a buzzer,or a barbel on floating baits,never had a salmon(hooked one once),never had a black bream(prefer slimy ones lol),but I have caught zander and catfish by design.