Fluorocarbon hooklengths and foul hooking

wetthrough

Reaction score
I've used Fluorocarbon hooklengths almost exclusively for the past two years and seem to get more than my fair share of foul hookings. I had three on Monday and I think six over the past year. Has anyone else using Fluorocarbon noticed an increase in foul hookings or is it just my bad luck?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I use fluoro hooklinks for the vast majority of my fishing, and have done for two or three years. I foul hook very little unless I visit a commie or heavily stocked club water. I didn't notice any particuliar increase in the number of foul hooked fish on such waters when I changed over.

Reaction score
I'm sorry,I don't know what style of fishing for doing...

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
One of the commonest causes of foulhooking is too much loosefeed.
That and the fact that flourocarbon line is stiffer than mono so it doesn't waft around quite as freely when fish are swishing around.
Personally I stick to mono when I'm float fishing, maybe worth trying to compare ?
Flourocarbon on feeders, especially when the Hooklink is long does help avoid tangles when reeling in IMO due to it's stiffness.

Reaction score
Ah,the foul hooking might well be down to feeding,depths,shotting,try feeding slightly less till you get away from the problem,hope you sort it out.

Sorry Simon you posted just before me,lol.

wetthrough

Reaction score
One of the commonest causes of foulhooking is too much loosefeed.
That and the fact that flourocarbon line is stiffer than mono so it doesn't waft around quite as freely when fish are swishing around.
Personally I stick to mono when I'm float fishing, maybe worth trying to compare ?
Flourocarbon on feeders, especially when the Hooklink is long does help avoid tangles when reeling in IMO due to it's stiffness.

Thanks. Not sure how much loose feed counts as too much but I don't take much. Not much nore than a 1/4 pt each of maggots, hemp, corn and casters and I'll usually come home with a fair amount but I'll bear what you've said in mind. I'm also loose feeding by catapult so feed should be spread out over a fair area.

I am thinking about going back to nylon to see if it makes a difference but like most things to do with fishing it's going to take a long time to form any sort of useful conclusion.

@Sam Vimes It has been a commercial on each occasion but I wouldn't call the one on Monday heavily stocked. I was fishing with Mikench with much the same tactics. He didn't foul hook any. I just wondered if the fish couldn't see the fluoro' making them vulnerable to bumping into it.

sam vimes

Reaction score
@Sam Vimes It has been a commercial on each occasion but I wouldn't call the one on Monday heavily stocked. I was fishing with Mikench with much the same tactics. He didn't foul hook any. I just wondered if the fish couldn't see the fluoro' making them vulnerable to bumping into it.

If you aren't feeding heavily, then it's more likely that you are fishing a little deeper than the fish are. They bump the line, give an indication on the float, you strike and pull into the fish (sometimes). The whole thing about fluoro being invisible is hugely overstated imo.