P7170543.JPG

Laney

Reaction score
what a beauty! and delicious fresh served on the BBQ as nice thick steaks!

caught this one with a rainbow trout lure modified with tuna circle hooks bought from lathams in norfolk for £4!, on a 20 pound class boat rod and 80 pound spiderwire braid! with a 200pound mono trace, it weighred in at 13 and a half KG my PB being 18kg, i think the smile says it all!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Known as a Dorado or Dolphin Fish. The colours are striking but rapidly disappear afetr death.

Laney

Reaction score
sorry Ron i guess i shoulda put that bit in myself huh! it is also called a maui maui in the southern Gulf of mexico.

it is a prolific fighter and puts on a fantastic display once on the line, if you have'nt done it yet you have to put it on your list, they are amazing to catch and second only (in my opinion) to a Wahoo for excitement of fight!/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

all this and i get paid whilst doing it, how cool is that???

N

Nobby C (ACA)

Mahi mahi?

Had some in (yes Ron) SA, the yarpies, called it sea chicken, did taste something like chicken. In return I introduced them to skate which they's always rebuffed, dismissing it as a bottom feeder and therefore not wothy. They changed their minds after trying it.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

One of the best eating fish in South African and Namibian waters was a thing called a kingklip - one of the ugliest fish in the sea and related to the monkfish. It was a bottom feeder and the crunchies loved to eat them.

It's spelt "Jaapie" by the way and is a derogatory name for a Boer.

Well I used to get called a "Soutie", which is short for "Sout Peil" or in English a Salty ****!

"One foot in Africa, the other inEngland and what was left, dangled in the sea".

/forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif

Laney

Reaction score
This one was caught off the coast of Ghana, and today i saw another bunch of 11 dorado's swiming around so still sport to be had i am glad to say, plus quite a few Tuna swimming about 10 to 15 feet down so with a bit of luck next trip out will produce some sushimi and tuna steaks for everyone!

the local ghanain's were out here on there little crafts the other day catching them with hand lines!! gotta respect that, i was knackered using my rod!!/forum/smilies/disappointed_smiley.gif