GET YOUR THINKING CAPS ON

W

Wolfman Woody

Fish.jpg

It's a picture of a fish caught from a lake on the Armenian/Georgian border. The guy holding it is a border guard who'd bought it from a fisherman there and it was consumed shortly afterwards.

The picture was posted on ThinkCamera under the title "One for Woody", but I have absolutely no idea what it could be? Any of you ever caught anything like this?

ANDY SKI

Reaction score
Hypophthalmichthys molitrix-Chinese schemer (possibly)/forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

or

Aristichthys nobilis-bighead carp

black ghost

Reaction score
wow thanks 4 that now i can sleep at nights the buggers are taking over the broads here in the east loads of them are they ok to keep with my koi ?

W

Wolfman Woody

Well done guys. I was thinking along the IDE or ASP lines too, but it looked very red.

However, the dorsal gives a few clues and the ASP is common to the Black Sea tributaries. But look at what Wikipedia says -

The Asp is a European freshwater fish of the cyprinid family. It is protected by the Bern Convention of endangered species and habitats (Appendix III). Asps are also on theIUCN Red List of endangered species.

Should they have killed and eaten it?

coelacanth

Reaction score
Not an Asp, eye and mouth position all wrong. Looks like a Silver Carp, could be a Bighead Carp, picture not quite good enough to be sure.