Close season vote results

seth49

Reaction score
From the angling times this week.

View attachment 6792

It says the EA are checking the comments of those who took part in the consultation, and these findings will be published in the next few weeks.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
A majority for ending the Close Season will mean there will have to be another vote...:wh

theartist

Reaction score
Given the current demographic of anglers touched on in the Carp Pollution thread I've found this result is really surprising.

49.8% for abolishing
48% for keeping the close season

It's made Brexit look like a landslide :D

Only us anglers could do a vote and not get a majority over 50%, you have to laugh

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
It wasn't a vote despite being reported as such just a consultation to get a feel of where opinion lay. A binding vote would need to be offered to all license holders.

silvers

Reaction score
have you not got a licence Alan? or have they not got your email address?

Reaction score
have you not got a licence Alan? or have they not got your email address?
Oigh,I certainly do have a licence and yes they do have my email address,but not everyone was asked to take part apparently....

Last edited:

Reaction score
I knew it was being done Simon,just didn't get an email...

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
certainly do have a licence and yes they do have my email address,but not everyone was asked to take part apparently....
Yes, they were. Honestly. I passed it around to all my friends and I'm sure it was mentioned on here many times. Trouble was, typical of the EA they made far too fussy and long winded, it put a lot of people off.

Then again, if you add the number wanting to retain the close season the the numbers voting to remain in the EU and the number of viewers voting for Ant and Dec to win Celebrities of the Year it outweighs the abolish voters by 13,634,916.

PS: please excuse the political jibe this once...

Reaction score
Well that's ok,I voted to bring back the closed season on lakes,lol.....

peterjg

Reaction score
Surprise, surprise! This will not make any difference - our government (called EA in this instance) will do what they always do ..... NOTHING!

Philip

Reaction score
My moneys on the Close season being abolished any time soon.

They only ask a question like that because they are fishing for a certain response which will help them get to the result they want.

"The anglers were consulted". So that little tick box is now filled in.

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
I think the only reason why they had the vote is because the licence fees are down, and dropping rapidly year on year.
Personally I think the close season should go sooner the better. But I also don't think it will make any diffrence to the number of licence sales if it is abolished.

seth49

Reaction score
Your a bit late, the consultation closed in March,should know more in a few weeks.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Some folks got an invitation to take part direct from the EA, most did not. However, it was publicised fairly widely through the EA email newsletter and via the Angling Trust. I certainly didn't get an individual invitation, but it didn't stop me doing it.

My moneys on the Close season being abolished any time soon.

They only ask a question like that because they are fishing for a certain response which will help them get to the result they want.

"The anglers were consulted". So that little tick box is now filled in.

I must be even more cynical than most on here. I reckon that the EA will be only too keen to see the back of the closed season. At the moment they are obliged to police the closed season. What better way to save a few quid than doing away with it. However, if you can pin the blame for it on someone else should the wheels fall off, so much the better. I might go even further and suggest that the EA would be only too happy to then blame every failing they possibly can on the lack of a closed season.

theartist

Reaction score
I must be even more cynical than most on here. I reckon that the EA will be only too keen to see the back of the closed season. At the moment they are obliged to police the closed season. What better way to save a few quid than doing away with it. However, if you can pin the blame for it on someone else should the wheels fall off, so much the better. I might go even further and suggest that the EA would be only too happy to then blame every failing they possibly can on the lack of a closed season.

According to most opinions on here and all social media (despite the consultation vote being almost 50/50) there is only benefit to be had from the close season going, The EA will have no need to blame anyone, nor will any other environmental groups as the rivers and streams will thrive with our presence.

Unless we've got it all wrong and we get hoisted by our own petard of course