C

Cakey

I love this time of year for fishing but I suffer with my hands

any tips please

ta

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Asone who has never been able to fish with gloves on,

I tuck my hands inside my sleeves, rubbing your hands together gets the circulationgoing, and removes moisture thus reducing heat loss, wear old thick woollen socks, (with the toes cut off), over your wrists and cuff and tuck your hands inside.

Also,be more selective on the weather conditions, tha's norra yung'un anymore /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Hat, vaseline, mitts (pound-shop "thinsulate" ones are great), Ginkgo biloba tea (according to St. Keith - haven't tried it myself, yet), handwarmers, and the humility to realise that a Nor'-Easter is Nature's way of telling you to stay in and coddle a whiskey.

A thermos jar of noodles with a thin cup that lets the heat through to your grateful paws can be a blessing, too.

Avoid tourniquets masquerading as neoprene mittens!

While we're about it, any ideas for the knees, folks? Thermal long-johns boil bits I'd sooner keep cool, neoprene knee bandages chafe like Ed's wellies in '63, and leg warmers always seem to be in "inappropriate" colours...

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Musta bin typing while you were posting, Merv! I like the "socks" dodge!

Shouldn't someone make a thermal fleece muff? I could cope with the silly comments - all innuendo and out the other...

F

Fred Bonney

I've always found that a tight sleeve on the jacket, just where the hand meets the cuff,so your wrist is covered does the trick, Cakey.

If your wrists are warm so will your hands be,try it in reverse, if you want to cool down run cold water on your wrists!

C

Cakey

my problems are after Ive caught and my hands are wet and cold ,then I get the hot aches and want to cry................................

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Merv - HOW much??? I'd have thought you could get a whole, internally heated sheep for that!

Cakey - towels? At least two, for getting-the-worst-off and drying-off-properly, with a third rag for getting-the-lumps-off if you're using groundbait? Followed by a vaseline top-up?

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
before you go fishing rub vaseline into your hands and keep rubbing it in, eventually water will run off your hands and wont "stick" its the water on your hands that makes them cold, alternatively wear some latex gloves so that they dont get wet in the first place. ordinary gloves are ok but you will have to take them off to bait up and put fish back etc.

I know the feeling you describe and its horrid. /forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

its weird because when I was 3 stone overweight I dont remember having the problem..............

Windy

Reaction score
Yes but you weren't diabetic with peripheral neuropathy back then.....

Us gimps gotta watch it and be careful. Don't want to lose them extremities - fingers and toes, then..... *gulp* - once they're gone you know what extremity is next*..... /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

However.... the prospect of an endless supply of muff jokes at Cakey's expense is almost too much to resist !

* the tip of the nose and ears.

You nasty nasty dirty minded people you....

C

Cakey

didnt think of that Windy ,I knew about my toes because they test them regulary but Ive never had my fingers or nob tested .......................

Windy

Reaction score
Seriously, fingers can be just as much affected, but less so than the lower limbs which suffer first, as it is harder to pump blood back up hill from all the way down at the feet... Sadly we can't use compression flight socks or bandages either as I understand it, cos of the blood clot / embolism risk.

Bit of a bummer all round.

My solution is an all in one neck to toes fleece one piece next to the skin. Wicks away moisture, keeps everything toasty warm and, after fishing when I remove the outer camo layers, proves utterly irresistible to women when I transform into a lovely grey fluffy teddy bear..... /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Oh, and with you on the neoprene gloves front Alan. Anyone want a pair, size 8, index finger and thumb tips cut off, ditto circulation.....

Windy

Reaction score
Oh, and no need to have your nob tested.

That nasty tingling feeling in it when you look at Wendy or Claudia is entirely normal.... /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

ok cheers ,nice to know I normal /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

brummie

Reaction score
I use neoprene gloves but any thing that keeps the back of your hands warm will help.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Windy wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

That nasty tingling feeling in it when you look at Wendy or Claudia is entirely normal.... /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif </blockquote>
Thats not a nasty feeling at all, happens to me all the time lol......

Reaction score
I have a pair of neoprene mittens sown into the cuffs in one off my fishing tops ideal when its cold when you get a fish just slip them over your thumb and your hands are free when I finished with the fish wipe my hands dry with a towel and slip my mittens back on . the good thing about mittens are all your fingers are free