Foul-hooked!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Anyone else with a story to tell about getting themselves hooked?

M

martin BATEY

A mate of mine once had to go to hospital with a huge boat fishing hook stuck right through his hand. when the doctor who was assigned to look at this particular case had a look. He fainted on the spot. mind y9ou it was horrifying to look at.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

When I was in my teens, I hooked a pike of about 6lbs on the Chesterfield Canal. I landed it by grabbing it just behind the head.

The pike kicked, slid through my fingers and dropped, embedding a size 8 barbed treble into the fleshy bit of my hand between my thumb and forefinger with the pike kicking away still hooked.

I cut through my hand and heaved the hook out. There was blood all over the place and I was fortunate that I didn't require stitches.

I still bare the scar to this day.

M

MarkTheSpark

I got a huge treble stuck in my index finger when I was on AT. It was the week after I'd written a tip for the old Kingfisher Club for kids, telling them how to make treble guards out of rings cut from old wine corks.

So I pitch up to casualty and the young doctor who sees me asks what's happened, etc, then says he has a son who goes fishing, gets AT, etc. Then he starts looking at me and saying he knows me from somewhere.

Twigging that he'd probably seen my picture plastered over kids' page, I told him he might have seen me down the river. Thankfully, his powers of recall weren't too good...

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I see it took Ron 7 years to remember when he hooked himself ...........

F

Fred Bonney

Looks like he must have had a quiet day to waste. Ed ;o)

L

Les Clark

Many years ago i was unhooking a big pike of about 20 lb ,one set of hooks out and was trying to unhook the second set when the pike flipped and i was hooked in the finger ,i must say that i was sh**ing myself in case the pike flipped again ,cut the trace,unhooked the pike ,packed up and went to the A&E ,where the doctor gave me two jabs to numb my hand and ripped the hook out with forcepts !
I had a treble go into my finger a few weeks ago while getting set up ,i wasn`t up for all the hassle of going to the hospital so i just sorted it out with my forcepts .

G

Ged

A mate of mine pushed a baiting needle into his thumb when trying to hair rig the bollie.
On a fly fishing session, my brother-in-law got the fly in his eye. Fortunately it only scratched his eyeball.
On another fly fishing trip, one guy got his nose pierced when talking to his mate as he was stood behind him up the banking whilst he was casting.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I got a size 20 stuck in my tongue. I had just tied the hook onto the hooklength and was moistening it with saliva before pulling the knot tight.
The hook was still in my mouth as I tightened the knot.
Luckilly only part of the barb had gone in and not all of it. It gave the wife a laugh though.

P

paul williams 2

Many years ago i was lure fishing at Holmpeirpoint in Nottingham with Des Taylor when a young lad got hooked in the ear with a treble....i can't remember who hooked him or how but i got the treble out...

A season or two later whilst up on the fens again with Des he got a treble in his thumb right up to the hilt.....i picked up my forceps and went towards him with them only to have him scream F*** off Williams.....i remember the f88c**g state you left that lads ear in you f***ing animal.....i had to take Des to Kings Lynn hospital to get the hook out with me pissing myself all the way............i don't think he ever forgive me!!

mark grimshaw

Reaction score
I managed to hook a sheep on the bridgwater canal once with a slight! overcast with a shad rap fortunately with a bit of deft backwinding got away with a large tuft of wool...and once a double on elton res.... a mate in the eyelid with a size 20 and a seagull on a big S.Happy days :)

W

Wolfman Woody

Long ago whilst sea fishing another angler called Chris, 4'6" in his stocking feet, used to come along with us. Most of the time he would borrow tackle and hadn't much of a clue including the golden rule, never cast off a full boat.

So we're up at Bridlington and the skipper gave Chris this really stout stick with Scarborough reel on it. Despite how many times people told him he would cast in, but this time the 2 lbs lead didn't hit the water as expected.

He snatched at the rod again without looking for a reason why, and again, and again. The reason why being that one of the hooks on his paternoster was firmly stuck in Jimmy's (another member) ear lobe.

Why didn't Jimmy say something, you might ask. He suffered from an incredibly bad stammer which got worse under pressure and consequently he just couldn't get the words out. All we heard was "Ch, .... Ch,.... Ch,...."

I was up-front and thought the others would know how to retract it, but in the end and a collar full of Jimmy's blood, the Skipper took charge and nipped the barb off. Word got around and they formed a double act for a 6 week season in Brid they were so funny.

S

Sean Meeghan

One day on Loch Lomond my mate hooked a jack of about 6 lb. As he pulled it into the shallows I noticed a flying treble so I told him I'd chin it for him. It was lying quietly on its side in the shallow water and I decided to unhook it with my forceps as it was only lightly hooked. As I clamped my forceps on the hook the pike went berserk pulling two points of the flying treble up to the bone of my index finger and middle finger of my right hand, clamping them firmly together. I was now firmly attached to a wildly thrashing pike by my forceps and a pair of trebles.

I then proceeded to chin it with my left hand cutting my fingers badly on the gill rakers as I did so. One of my mates was now lying in the water so helpless with laughter that he couldn't move and the other one stayed put on his chair saying that if I was daft enough to get into a pickle like that I could get myself out of it!

Luckily the wet and helpless mate recovered enough to get a pair of side cutters and chop various bits of wire until I was free. I was so annoyed I then yanked the offending treble out of my fingers with a pair of pliers. The only good bit of this story was that the nurse in casualty at the hospital in Alexandria who finally stopped all the bleeding was really nice ....

Don't try this at home kids!!

P

paul williams 2

Wend.....you were braver than Des.....you let me get it out! ;)

P

paul williams 2

Sean.......i'd do it for any fishin buddie! ;)

Even Des!

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
yeah but it hurt paul! and it was bleeding for ages even ED took a photo of it!