Meat as a bait

mikench

Reaction score
I have had acceptable results with spam which is my go to meat. Recently I saw the Mainline Meat cans back in the tackle shop and bought a few varieties . I have interspersed these with spam and have concluded that spam is much better and produces more bites. Spam can be glugged with F1 which works or coated with Losalt which also works. It also works well in a butty with Branston pickle which is , I suspect, not something the dark meat with added Betane would do.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
That's how I feel about Spam too Keith. One thin slice invariably ends up in a butty. S** the fish .:rolleyes:

Molehill

Reaction score
A slice (along with other ingredients!) in the frying pan for breakfast before I leave the camper to fish, can't resist it, if I was a barbel I would be caught every day :)

john step

Reaction score
I find the smoky bacon sold in B and M for the exorbitant price of £1 is great for barbel. (Exorbitant because last year it was 99p :wh ).

I have tried the fishing bait meat varieties but found them no better. The only advantage in them I can see is that they are usually tougher for hook staying properties.

rayner

Reaction score
I'm with you John the python mob is not funny just daft.
So far as meat goes I now only use Spam, any flavour. Rather than choosing a different brand varying shapes work better for me, all variations of cubed.

lambert1

Reaction score
I'm afraid that school ruined Spam for me as it did many other foods! Still shudder at the thought of the Spam Fritter oozing enough oil to keep a Sheikh happy. Quite happy to let the fish have it.

Reaction score
I'm of the opinion many makes are good for bait,apart from the really cheap stuff often found in round tins,it's just mush,the best imo is tulip which you can buy for a pound a tin in tescos,that's for eating and bait,the majority comes from the same factory,look up tulip,plumrose etc.

peterjg

Reaction score
Choritzo sausage is good, cut it to required size and then shake the bits in a 50/50 mixture of betaine and garlic salt.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Pushing slices through a maggot riddle makes for good loose feed, particularly good for crucians.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barbelboi

Reaction score
The best that I've experienced for barbel by far was garlic spam that seems to have disappeared from the supermarkets over the last few years

theartist

Reaction score
Pushing slices through a maggot riddle makes for good loose feed, particularly good for crucians.

I experimented a few times dicing the meat like this as small as possible to use the meat as if they were maggots drip feeding alongside hemp, found it worked pretty well on both rivers and stillwaters. It was useful in coloured water for barbel and chub but found large dace had a liking for it too, plus it seemed to be a bit to big for nuisance bleak, on stillwaters small tench couldn't get enough of it.

The only downsides I found were that it would come off the hook every strike or at the end of every run through in fast water and that it was a pretty greasy combo when in the bait bib, looked good enough to eat mind.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
If you have a MAP type meat cutter you can put the meat through the smallest size then cut the strips with a knife to make small oblong shaped pieces. I liberally douse mine with lo-salt, which I am convinced makes a significant improvement. I often also put the pieces in a plastic bag with some “Source” flavouring and then freeze it.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
tiny bits on a 14 hook have accounted for some good crucians and roach for me. Had a very good day on one river with garlic spam once, chub, bream, roach and a tench all from one swim, but typically; tried it a week later and caught nothing like that, fishing, who invented it. Very good for eels as well but too good, dont like them so stick to bread and sweetcorn on the river where I normally fish but if you like eels, go for it.

Stalker

Reaction score
Currently testing out the BBQ flavour Spam. The jury is out at the mo, as my one and only trip thus far this season was effectively a blank.

But meat, and specifically Spam, is my go-to for barbel and chub. I've never had much luck with pellets, and whilst maggots and worms are obviously great barbel and chub baits, they tend to get attacked by tiddlers and perch, respectively, long before something bigger gets there.

mikench

Reaction score
I threw the last of the Mainline meat away and chopped up some spam. Having recently tidied the spice drawer I recalled a packet of smoked garlic powder past it's sell by date. It has been liberally applied to the spam so watch out fish.

Keith M

Reaction score
I’ve had lots of Barbel and Chub on the luncheonmeat that used to be sold in the tackleshops but only on the curry and spice flavours, with chilly flavour being the best.
The other flavours were not very good at all I must agree.

Currently I’ve been having a lot of success on the ‘Hot-n-Spicy’ spam (chopped pork and ham) sold in Morrisons and the last time I saw it on their shelves I bought ten cans which should last me for a few trips.

It comes with a ring-pull and I use a Seymo Meat Punch which produces a nice sized cylinder of meat which is perfect for size 10 and size 8 hooks both mounted directly onto the hook or on a Quickstop hair, and it stays on the hair unlike some other meats that I’ve used in the past.

Keith

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
A lot is being made of the type/brand of meat but lets face it these fish aren't dining at the finest restaurants and they just don't care. (Are they wearing hipster tashes and speaking french saying "Non missuer!?) nah, Just feed a bit of it maybe with hemp an bingo they will have it. Little n' often is the fast food restaurant they are dining on at truck stop near you

Keep truckin!

theartist

Reaction score
P.S That was my drunk Friday night post, you know what I mean though seems meat isn't a bait that's worked at, as well as we could lets be fair, rather it's a sit and wait bait if there is such a thing, I think it's better than that