North Sea Cod in danger again

no-one in particular

Reaction score
According to one newspaper article I read yesterday and it's scientists saying this, they reckon its critical. Was it 3 years ago the EU declared this sustainable and they upped the quotas by 15%.

mikench

Reaction score
It's pathetic. The Japs are resuming whaling and the world is getting hotter. Cod is bland too in my book much prefer haddock or hake.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have read reports that with the gradual increases to the sea temperaures that the Cod are moving further north, so is that another reason why they are becoming less common around our waters?

Regardless of the base reasons I definitely believe that now is not the time to take leave of the quota system levied by the EU as randon fishing can only make matters worse.

theartist

Reaction score
I have read reports that with the gradual increases to the sea temperaures that the Cod are moving further north, so is that another reason why they are becoming less common around our waters?

Regardless of the base reasons I definitely believe that now is not the time to take leave of the quota system levied by the EU as randon fishing can only make matters worse.

One would hope that we wouldn't take leave of the EU system but make our own, improving on what's already on the table except changing it to one that benefits our waters, our fishermen and our recreational sea anglers. Not going to happen of course.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The only benefits will be to the five families that control the sub letting of uk quotas.

While the water may be ‘ours’ the fish are free to follow the temperatures they feel more content with.

Philip

Reaction score
Its not rocket science that a fish will go where it feels most comfortable. If the waters getting warmer then a cod will go somewhere a bit colder. On the flip side we may start seeing some warmer water species making an appearance more often.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Does it matter where they are and why and who fishes for them, are they safe from EU regulation! They can't just up the quota anytime a species looks like it's making a recovery, I thought that was a mistake at the time. I think they just put economics first and not species preservation or scientific advice, if they do it's bad advice.
We may not leave the EU yet; could go on forever until it fizzles out and everyone forgets about it or loses interest or if we do leave, we will still probably stay aligned to them regarding commercial fishing with quotas and trade deals. Even if that is the case we will be in a stronger position to argue for more say in our protection because they badly want our fish. I hope we set up our own DEFRA and be a bit more smarter than they have been.

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
I agree with you Mark that I would like to see more protection given to Cod.

However there is always this idea of the big bad EU and things will be better after. The Uk could actually choose to make the situation even worse if they wanted.

Take a look at Japan...they just stuck two fingers up to the rest of the world and started commercial whaling again.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Who knows where the cards are going to fall Phillip and what will happen here. However, I am pleased the angling trust are getting behind more protection areas, this is the way the world and the science is going in my opinion.
I watched celebs at sea the last two episodes, so many cod caught the skipper had to throw them all back, quota system wouldn't allow him to land them. It was contrary to what the news paper article I read was saying as loads of cod caught right up off the north Scottish coast so, I just dont know.
It was interesting programme, the skipper had to cover costs of £35.000 for the trip and needed 1000 boxes just to break even, he only had 550 on the last days and the crew wer not going to get any money, 10 days hard graph and it was the hardest, little sleep, danger ever present and for nothing. Somethings not right, needs fixing.

Last edited: