The Maidment Interview

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Following on from the excellent "The Bracket Interview":The Bracket interview

Here's my attempt at something similar:

1. What age did you start fishing and where?

Probably around 5 or 6 years old, certainly in the late 1950’s. I had a recollection of watching two of my uncles salmon fishing on the Dorset Stour when they had at least 3 or 4 fish, one of which had Mick stripping off and jumping in the river to land it. That memory was confirmed a couple of years ago when chatting with my uncle shortly before he died. He disappeared to ransack a cupboard returning with several biscuit tins and boxes full of photos. He eventually produced one showing my dad, my two sisters and me sat behind Ron as he posed with a fresh salmon. He also had a photo of himself up to his neck in the Stour, rod in the air and laughing his head off! I’m pretty certain those events resulted in me becoming an angler.

RonStoura.jpg MickStour1.jpg

2. Angling heroes?

See above! My dad didn’t fish but all his brothers and sister did. Mick and Ron were the two who influenced me the most and are my heroes.

3. First piece of tackle?

The first rod was a 12ft float rod made for me by Ron. The first two sections were cane with a spliced solid fibre glass top section. That was matched with one of Mick’s centrepins, an Allcock’s Match Special. I also had a very well used wicker basket. Sadly, I have no idea what happened to those pieces of gear.

4. First fish ever caught?

A flounder from the top of the tidal Stour whilst bouncing a bunch of lobworms under a bullet lead weight allegedly fishing for salmon!

5. Biggest fish ever caught?

For many years it was a 67lb Blue Shark but topped that one with a Tarpon estimated at 80lbs about 25 years ago. I’ve had a few carp to just under 30lbs but all caught by accident. A 24lbs+ salmon and 21lbs+ brown trout are the two most memorable big fish caught by design.

6. Favourite venue?

The Dorset Stour, specifically the lower reaches and tidal areas. The Hampshire Avon is a close second.

7. Favourite fish?

I have several, usually dependent on the river and the time of year I’m fishing. But the overall winner has to be a Dorset Stour Chub in prime winter condition caught whilst trotting a float.

8. Most memorable fish?

March 2016, my last session of that season on the Dorset Stour at Throop when I had the chub lined up in front of me. Can’t remember too much detail about those chub but I can recall every detail of the several minutes late in the afternoon which resulted in a 7lbs 11oz chub finally sliding into the landing net!

MarChub.jpg

9. Do you have any nostalgia for old kit?

Not until recently. I inherited a lot of fishing gear when my two remaining uncles passed away in 2017 which has taken a lot of time to sort through. I’ve kept a fair bit, donated some to The Rod Room Museum at the Royalty Fishery, gifted a lot to some of my uncle’s long term mates and sold some with the proceeds going to charity. Of the stuff I’ve kept I regularly use the Normark rods and I’m still working my way through the centrepins! But it’s the small stuff that often gets to me, the floats in particular.

IMG_6277.jpg

10. Fixed spool or centrepin?

Yes! I do have several fixed spool reels but many more centrepins. I use the centrepins just because I can regardless of whether they are the right tools for the job and conditions!

11. Commercials? Ever fished one?

Loads of times! After a break in the late 1980’s I took my kids to Gold Valley which led me to get back into fishing. It was there that I first came across the Hair Rig and a few other things totally new to me. About 10 years later I worked part time at Gold Valley and fished a number of their matches. For the most part I was well beaten but eventually worked a few things out. A few section wins and top five placings were fun but there was only so many 100lbs+ weights of carp I could manage before getting bored. But Gold Valley got me back into fishing and I learnt a lot.

12. Views on the carp scene, ever shown any interest in that?

Not a lot of interest in it really, other than the innovations (and rehashing of old ideas) which can be applied to my style of fishing. It’s a source of income for clubs which hopefully means the more forward thinking ones can maintain other styles of venues alongside the carp lakes. It’s also a main driver for the tackle trade which can only be a good thing for further developments and adaptations in gear applicable to all forms of fishing.

13. Do you own a pole?

I’ve had a few over the years but got rid of them because they typically sat in the cupboard unused. Then I inherited several from my uncles, two of which I’ve kept and use.

IMG_7254 (450 x 600).jpg

14. Float, lead or feeder?

Yes, yes and yes, they all have their place and uses. But, give me a float, particularly on running water, and I’m happy.

15. Lone fisherman, team man or social trips?

Used to fish a lot of matches both individual and team including winter leagues and nationals. Rarely with much success but enjoyed the competitive nature of those trips. Nowadays I’m more of a loner but increasingly enjoying social trips with good mates near and far.

16. Favourite bait?

Maggot or caster with bread in its many forms a close second. Meat, again in many forms, is my favourite barbel bait, but I do use pellets and boilies.

17. Angling on TV?

I was a big fan of Jack Hargreaves and Out of Town, definitely helped by the fact that I met him a couple of times. I really enjoyed John Wilson’s programs and more recently the Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Fishing series has been very watchable.

18. What’s left to do?

Nowadays I just fish when I want to, often with mates. But, having had many conversations with my late uncle as he negotiated his terminal illness, it was clear, fishing wise, he had a couple of regrets. He particularly regretted not trying other specialities of our sport more often such as carp, barbel and sea. That led me to deliberately set out to try other things. A long weekend bivvied up specifically targeting Catfish, using medical leaches as bait, was completely out of my comfort zone, but enjoyable. I’ve booked on three wrecking trips out in the English Channel but have been weathered off each time, still work in progress. I’ve also got back into fly fishing a bit, for the third time, having inherited a whole lot of gear. I’m also into my second season of hosting a series of Barbel Teach-ins for one of my clubs (Farnham Angling Society). Four dates between July and October and they’ve all been fully booked and I have a waiting list!

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I cannot emulate your long experience Neil and acquired skill and knowledge. It made interesting reading. If ever a jocular and tongue in cheek appraisal is wanted then I may be tempted.:)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thank you Neil, another excellent piece.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Here's an image of my late uncle Mick and his team mates from 1973 (I think). They were pretty much top of the tree in the local match scene and had plenty of success further afield as well.

All four of them were big supporters of junior anglers, particularly in Christchurch AC, and helped me and many others to grow as anglers. They were regular attendees at club junior matches helping and advising all competing juniors. I never won the club junior championships, always finishing 2nd behind my nemesis John Colegate, but it was always competitive and fun.

Dob Chislett (one time owner of the Nimrod tackle shop where the photo was taken now Christchurch Angling Centre) and Mick are no longer with us but Alan Sellers and Eddie Poole are both still fishing although Alan is a rare visitor to the bank nowadays. I will be meeting up with Eddie and a few other "vintage anglers" in a couple of weeks at a local commercial for a bit of a social fish-in.

I was 2nd to Dob's 64lbs of Avon roach with 19lbs 10oz of chub and dace to almost become the first junior to win a senior club match. I put that right a few weeks later and Dob was the first one to congratulate me. He later presented me with a rod suitably inscribed. Unfortunately that rod was smashed to pieces many years later when I moved house.

MickDobAlanEddie.jpg

It was Mark Wintle who sent that image to me quite recently. We met back in the mid/late 1970's when we worked for the same bank. Fished a lot together for various teams and individually. Both of us are now well and truly OAP's but still fish a bit and, occasionally, together.

Mark.jpg

Last edited:

bracket

Reaction score
Facinating article Neil. Pleasure to read it. Thank you. Pete.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I had to Google the huntspill

Forty pound plus of dace seems phenomenal

Lark

Reaction score
Excellent read Neil.... It confirms what I've though for a while though.
That you come from a long line of "fish whisperers" - Nobody, but nobody can get a fish to behave and pose like those in your selfies without some form of psychic influence!!

Hope you're well.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I don't know where the photo was taken, Neil (of the MEADs), but it wasn't Nimrod which started in about 1978 on the Waterloo Estate near Cabot Lane before it moved to Iford Parade (actually a different unit to where Christchurch Angling Centre is now) in about 1979 so it was possibly Custom Tackle (in Columbia Road before it moved to Wimborne Road, Taylor's Tackle or Davis Tackle.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I don't know where the photo was taken, Neil (of the MEADs), but it wasn't Nimrod which started in about 1978 on the Waterloo Estate near Cabot Lane before it moved to Iford Parade (actually a different unit to where Christchurch Angling Centre is now) in about 1979 so it was possibly Custom Tackle (in Columbia Road before it moved to Wimborne Road, Taylor's Tackle or Davis Tackle.

Hi Mark, I sent copies of the article to Eddie, Alan and Tony Allen who thought the same as me. But as the dates are wrong I would have thought it was Davis Tackle in Bargates. The Meads in their original form were supported/sponsored by Davis Tackle so would seem to be appropriate. The only other one I can think of would have been Bill Longman's shop in Barrack Road near Jumpers Corner which was the main meeting place for a lot of the CAC matchmen. It was my local tackle shop in the early 1970's but I'm not sure when it became Pro Fishing Tackle (1980's?).

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I had to Google the huntspill

Forty pound plus of dace seems phenomenal

The Huntspill is a drain rather than a river and perfect for permanent pegging. Christchurch AC had annual home & away fixtures vs Bridgewater (?) for The Leffman Cup with well supported organised coach trips to the venues. I fished a few of those matches and remember a top 5 finish out of 70+ pegs with 20lbs+. There were also team and individual events as well as big opens on The Huntspill back in the 1960's/1970's which attracted top anglers from the Midlands. Back then it was predominantly a bream venue and very peggy especially with a couple of hundred anglers "walking the bream" up and down the sections. The favoured Ponderosa and Gold Corner areas were the draws to have.

Bournemouth, Christchurch and the surrounding area was not exactly a hub of match angling so to travel to deepest Somerset was not unusual back them. Same for the Bristol Avon and the Thames from around Oxford down to Marlow and Cookham and beyond.

The only time I fished a proper old Hants Avon Championship I ended up on a peg at Bisterne. With a couple of chub and a few dace in the net I was doing more than OK. But then I hooked a barbel which took me well down into the next peg, I followed it and was promptly disqualified by a steward for leaving my peg.:(

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Excellent read Neil.... It confirms what I've though for a while though.
That you come from a long line of "fish whisperers" - Nobody, but nobody can get a fish to behave and pose like those in your selfies without some form of psychic influence!!

Hope you're well.

Cheers! Getting old, sight issues are threatening my ability to see a float at distance so investigating lens replacement surgery for some time in the relative near future but other than that, all sort of OK :)

Always carry a "priest" in your pocket as a calming measure :eek:mg:

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark Wintle

Hi Mark, I sent copies of the article to Eddie, Alan and Tony Allen who thought the same as me. But as the dates are wrong I would have thought it was Davis Tackle in Bargates. The Meads in their original form were supported/sponsored by Davis Tackle so would seem to be appropriate. The only other one I can think of would have been Bill Longman's shop in Barrack Road near Jumpers Corner which was the main meeting place for a lot of the CAC matchmen. It was my local tackle shop in the early 1970's but I'm not sure when it became Pro Fishing Tackle (1980's?).

Mark, I met up with Eddie Poole and several other guys of a similar vintage yesterday for a social at Witherington. We talked about The Meads and both Eddie and Vic Fry confirmed the photo was taken in Dave's Custom Tackle in Columbia Road. Eddie also said he re-painted the shop frontage for Dave in exchange for various fishing "bits and pieces" which sounds about right for the way Dave often operated!

Eddie can still catch well, quietly and without fuss. We didn't use keepnets but, if we had, he would have claimed "about 10lbs" and actually weighed in 50lbs+ :)