First Session On New Syndicate Water

A

Alistair Campbell

The water in question is approximatley 9-10 acres and roughly square shaped.

The gravel pit is like an egg box and you would probably need about twenty rods in each swim just to cover half the spots. The water is crystal clear and I have been out in a boat and have no idea where to start as in regards to bait placement. Should you fish on top or down the sides of bars etc. Also there are only 7 fishable swims which leaves a lot of the water unfishable.

Can anyone recommend a suitable particle mix to use?

Any info greatly appreciated.

The lake has only been fished for the last three years with a lot of the fish evading capture despite some well known anglers fishing it.

many thanks.

D

David Will

Alistair your first priority must be finding the fish.Fishing blind will only result in a lot of wasted time.You say you can use a boat.If so spend time with a view to spotting fish and where they spend their time. You can bet your boots that nearby to daytime holding areas will be feeding areas.You have your work cut out.These waters are the most difficult.

P

Paul Williams

Dave's right, find the fish and you will only need two rods!......the use of a boat is the best tool available to you make maximum use of it....make yourself a glass bottomed box and use it to view into the water......use a ladel on the end of a long pole to feel the bottom and also bring up samples of the same....see if you can find "sweet" silt they will feed there.
Bait choice is not important but if you want my opinion of the best particle mix it would be maggots and more maggots!
The number of carp anglers who will not move on to fish still amazes me....this weekend Stu Johnson and myself spotted carp in a corner and told carpers (we were sliming!)they continued to sit behind their three rods and ignore feeding carp!.....so be prepared to move.

A

Alistair Campbell

Cheers Paul and David. I know what you mean paul ive put anglers onto fish before and they just sit it out in the comfortable swims that everyone fishes and blank rather than move onto fish. Moving isnt a problem for me its what im infamous for on some of my local waters.

The water is crystal clear on this particular water I was able to see individual stones at a depth of around 12-15 feet it was a real eye opener. Also the water holds some enormous tench well into double figures.How do you go about specifically targeting them?

Ive used maggots before and caught well on them. would you use them on their own or mix them with a number of other particles? Also do you know where I can aquire them reasonably cheaply as it cost me near on 40 pounds last time i used them.

D

David Will

Most places in the South East charge itro ?2.50 per pint with a gallon being around ?12 to 14 depending on the shop.How many pints did you buy for ?40.00 , the mind boggles :)Hemp and maggots , goes well.Same applies for the Tench.Steady feeding of the swim is best rather than going spod mad and filling it in.If you are fishing the margins keep firing a pouch full every 10 minutes or so.

J

Jon Peplow

I've just joined a syndicate water at Eastnor Castle in Herefordshire, anyone with any knowledge of the water?

P

Paul Williams

I pay a tenner a gallon for "feeder" maggots ( i clean them), but friends tell me thats a Midlands thing.....but i would go along with david again and say hemp is the best bet to make them go further.....you will catch the tench to!
Jon,
I know of Eastnor but have never fished it mate.