?599 for a carp reel

Specihunter

Reaction score
I've just read the write up for the new Daiwa tournament basir 45 qd reel which costs a whopping £599 . To me thats way too much when there are cracking reels for under £100 . My point is who is going to buy it ? Let alone afford it , for that price you can buy 3 rods and reels .

Tony Hart

Reaction score
There will be Tackle Tarts out there who will say I must have one of them, even if a reel at £20 does the same job. /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

F

Frothey

why spend £100k on an aston, when a 500 quid car will get you from a to b?

they'll sell like hotcakes......

Maggie

Reaction score
Yes there will always be people who have more money than sense and think nothingof spending £600 for a reelortheusualposers that will buy them.

Are the reelsmade of gold?.

Never mind if theycan affordto give their money away then good luck to them.

I wish I had the money to waste /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

F

Frothey

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Speci (the korum kid) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>or be the biggest bust in history.</blockquote>

The "origional" Basia's were advertised at that when they first came out - you can get them for around £300 now. you can get the new QDx's for about £370 - proves what a mockery srp is.

is it any worse than what people spend on a sage fly rod, or a top end pole?

catch

Reaction score
if i won the lotto i still wouldent pay that .

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

£600 for a reel is utter madness, unless you have no concept of the value of money.

There are any number of fine fixed spool reels on the market in the £80 to £100 bracket that will do a perfectly adequate job. And remember that carp fishing is not likely to put any severe working pressure on the reel's bearings etc as it sits on a rod pod for the vast percentage of the time.

And let's face it, carp are not the hardest fighting fish in the world either.

F

Frothey

as above, cant actually find them for £600 anywhere, £360 seems about the norm. still a lot for some reels. but why spend £700 on a sage fly rod, when a £50 will catch you just as many fish? £90 on a fly reel when its just a glorified bobbin that you could get for a tenner? £2k on a pole?

people really should spend less time worrying about people using tackle they cant afford or justify to buy.....

the basia's sold out when they were first released, can't see the new ones being any different

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Yup, totally agree, its like Frothy going for his weeklyhairdo and paying 100 or so quid (150 when when he has the extensions in) and most of us can get it done for a tenner!

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

ps, just ordered four of them reels, they any good like?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"My point is who is going to buy it ?"

Someone who has sufficient disposable income so as not to worry about the price and who wants the best around.

I have to agree with Frothey, why should we (collectively) worry about who buys what, and at what price?

If you can afford it, (and want one) then go for it, if you can't then it really is non sequitur.

C

Cakey

They said £1440 please mate ,I said pi55 off Im not paying a penny under £2396

Specihunter

Reaction score
It was more to do with the timing than why . With the economy in a downward spiral and jobs going people aren't going to spend that kind of money on a reel .

F

Frothey

why would they stop the release of something? they are still made, no point putting them in the back of a cupboard somewhere. there's always people still have money to waste. i'm getting some for my spod and marker rods.

i'm having it done every two weeks at the mo Wol, the entry at my special club's gone up due to the cost of rubber.....

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"i'm getting some for my spod and marker rods."

You had better watch out that your hair extensions don't get caught in the spool then Frothey . . . . .

W

will spencer

i don't think it's a question of who buys what or a question of if you can afford it buy it.i've always tried to buy the best item i can afford for the situation in hand.mate of mine bought a cheap 16metre pole.be easier to use a scaffold pole.

in a similar light i have recently bought a bosch drill for work that cost £350,it works more efficiently and effectively than one of the cheaper models.

buy a £20 reel now buy another one in a few months when the thing drops to bits

Carpless

Reaction score
True, as they say 'buy cheap, buy twice'. I only consider paying money for something that doesn't function as well, but looks better, a wasteful thing to do. If you find they are better reels than any other model then they are worth buying.

Besides, if some people do genuinely buy the most expensive gear to show off then why should it affect you? Your personal experience is all that matters.