Ticks

mikench

Reaction score
I was reading about the spread of ticks within the Uk because of the increasing deer population. I don't think I've ever come across them either personally or affecting my dogs.

However a tick borne form of encaphalitis virus has been discovered in the New Forest and at least 2 people have been diagnosed with it but survived. We must have wild deer roaming free in my neck of the woods and certainly in places like Tatton Park, but I've never seen one. Be careful is the message.

The virus has been found in Europe, Scandinavia and Asia but never before in the U.K.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I never remember to do it and I should but, I think tucking your trousers in your socks or wear bicycle clips helps to avoid them when walking in long grass.

spenbeck

Reaction score
If there are sheep about, you should be careful in long wet grass.

One bit me in Ireland a few years ago.

I felt a tingle go up and down the right side of my body, then my elbow itched.

Pulled my sleeve up and it was there. I managed to gouge it out on the first attempt!

rich66

Reaction score
I was bitten earlier this year, I couldn’t even remember feeling the bites. Twice on one arm and once on the other. Great big bulls eye rashes and a 3 week course of antibiotics. Followed by 3 months of the wife saying it’s fishing’s fault even though I’m convinced it was the local woods which have a good head of deer.

rayner

Reaction score
My dog was seventeen when we had to put him down, in all that time he used to walk three time every day in fields and woods, he got a tick twice. They bury their head in the flesh to feed.
We had to plaster them with Vaseline on vets instruction, a few minutes and they dropped off. Horrible creature a tick, a well fed tick is as big a large garden pea.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
The quicker you get them out the less chance of infection. Burning them or suffocating them can cause them to vomit before they drop off increasing your chance of infection. The best and safest way to remove a tick is to use a removal tool, these are excellent https://www.amazon.co.uk/OTom-02-3785-Otom-Tick-Twister/dp/B0089BOK12. I have a set in the house and a set in the car, I've used them on my dog and even myself.

lambert1

Reaction score
I won't wear shorts when I am working because I have twice ended up with Ticks in the groin area, which is not pleasant believe me! I would not fish with shorts on either for the same reason. We have a lot of deer round here and they are by far the biggest carriers as the op said. Their population has expanded massively with no predators. There are many irate gardeners who have had their gardens trashed by Bambi and his mates.

mikench

Reaction score
Deer need culling! There are too many. I do like venison so it makes sound sense.