Baileys no 1 horse feed

seth49

Reaction score
I’ve noticed on some of Graham Pullens utube videos that he uses the above as groundbait or method mix.

Now I can get this for about £ 13.00 for 20 kilos which is very cheap, has anyone on here ever used it, it’s mainly made from wheat so it should be fine to use.

Any comments.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
I've used all sorts of animal feeds in the past, including horse feed but I honestly can't remember the brands. IMO they're excellent for mass pre-baiting where quantity is needed, particularly if you want it to carry bits as they can be very sticky and dense. They're generally outfished in a fishing situation by a more specific groundbait.

It's a quantity vs quality vs price decision.

steve2

Reaction score
We use to prebait in the close season with all sorts of mixes with wheat being the main one and caught plenty of fish.
Vitalin is another that was well used. I have used bird seed mixes many times and they work also cheaper than ground baits.
Just depends on what you want the ground bait to do.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Terry Lampard put me on to this for mullet fishing and it's good for groundbait for mullet but less useful for other species.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Please be a little wary of random animal feeds. My BIL works for a farm feed company, one that still actually manufactures its own product. Several years ago, I thought to take advantage of this fact. (Un?)Fortunately, said BIL is a conscientious employee. He thought that asking those higher up the food chain what might be a suitable product for my purposes might be a good idea. No doubt there was a huge amount of corporate backside covering involved in their answer, but the boffins came back with something on the lines of "on no account should any of our animal feed products be introduced to bodies of water".

bullet

Reaction score
Potentially, that sounds like they were concerned about the "statutory use" of the products, rather than any potential risk to aquatic life.
If it's listed as animal feed, the requirement will be that it is used only for that.
Luncheon meat is probably far worse!

steve2

Reaction score
Please be a little wary of random animal feeds. My BIL works for a farm feed company, one that still actually manufactures its own product. Several years ago, I thought to take advantage of this fact. (Un?)Fortunately, said BIL is a conscientious employee. He thought that asking those higher up the food chain what might be a suitable product for my purposes might be a good idea. No doubt there was a huge amount of corporate backside covering involved in their answer, but the boffins came back with something on the lines of "on no account should any of our animal feed products be introduced to bodies of water".

Make you wonder what they were putting in to their feed.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Luncheon meat is probably far worse!

No doubt, but it's still worth being cautious before you randomly chuck anything into a fishery, especially in large quantities.

Make you wonder what they were putting in to their feed.

Most unlikely to be anything untoward and just a case of corporate backside covering.

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
Never worked with horses when I was brought up on a farm, but from what I was told horses got the best of any foods they had, with being susceptible to colic and other digestive problems, best hay and best cereals for them.

I wouldn’t be putting lots in, probably take a kilo at the most, and use it to bulk up other groundbaits, and method mixes etc.