River Lot, France. December barbel and silure

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
My first post on this forum for some time, been a bit busy this last couple of years moving to France and learning some river fishing skills!

Fishing buddy Alistair and myself decided to fish one of the few swims likely to be out of the main flow on a very full river Lot. We had missed the worst of the rain that SE France has had so at least there was a possibility of fishing!

The swim was the confluence of a small stream and the main river. Plan A was to catch some bleak and roach for bait and then float fish the eddy for predators.

The small fish obliged but then no sign of pike, zander of perch!

So, try Plan B

Heavy rain the previous day had forced a 15" garden worm to seek refuge under my front door mat, I gave it better shelter in my baitbox! So it was sacrificed to see if there was a barbel in the swim. It did not take long......

Barbel Dec 2019.jpg

My first barbel from this swim, so another spot added to my growing knowledge of this lovely river.

The worm was still attached to the hook so back into the river it went. A few minutes later a small silure took the worm, just over 5 lbs and it put up a good fight on my travel telescopic rod.

Silure telescopic rod.jpg

The day after this it rained .....a lot! The flow at the monitoring station had been around 370 cu metres a second (just about fishable!) shot up to 1700 (massive torrent!).

Today, three days later, it is down to 520. Sunshine again and I think there may be one place that may be out of the flow and not under flood water. So I think a short session this afternoon!

mikench

Reaction score
Lovely barbel and in good condition. You live in a beautiful part of the world and can fish as well.:rolleyes:

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Lovely barbel and in good condition. You live in a beautiful part of the world and can fish as well.:rolleyes:

After leaving our short term gite 2 years ago we took a 3 year lease on a bungalow. Nice place, wife loved it from the start. What attracted me was the four roads leading from the village to the river!

A drive of 10 minutes gets me fishing at Cenevieres, another road it's 15 minutes to Larnagol, 20 minutes to Cajarc and 30 minutes to Arcambal and Cahors.

Managed some good fish this year but only little carp and catfish, the bigger fish are there though!

Some of the better fish so far.....

IMG_20190917_192756666.jpg

Silure Lot - Edited.jpg

IMG_20190611_191142959.jpg

Chub 5lb River Lot.jpg

Bream to over 6lbs, chub over 5lbs and barbel to 8lbs so far. Hooked a few big fish that have bust me up easily but enjoy using barbel tackle. Might have to step up to carp outfits next year!

46330 Saint-Martin-Labouval.jpg

Just got to love this wonderful river!

Last edited:

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
Great results you’re getting, knocking my results on the Dordogne into a cocked hat! I’m about 1hr 20min due north of Céneviéres at Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne, you’re welcome get in touch if you’d like to arrange some fishing time, I have a reasonable barbel swim at the bottom of the garden, and I’d certainly be interested in having a crack at the Lot. Kind Regards., Rog

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Great results you’re getting, knocking my results on the Dordogne into a cocked hat! I’m about 1hr 20min due north of Céneviéres at Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne, you’re welcome get in touch if you’d like to arrange some fishing time, I have a reasonable barbel swim at the bottom of the garden, and I’d certainly be interested in having a crack at the Lot. Kind Regards., Rog

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are planning a visit to this part of the Lot drop me a PM. I can see what the river is like and point you to a likely swim to get you started.

A friend who runs a canoe business advised me to install RiverApp on my phone. It covers many rivers in France and I find it useful, though it helps to view the river in conjunction with the apps flow rates and in time build up a mental picture of what is happening.

Bouzies, east of Cahors, is the monitor station closest to me. At least now it saves me a trip down the hill when the river is too powerful. The flush of water after the recent heavy rain was immense, stripping away undergrowth and small trees on the banks adjoining my most productive barbel swim.

Just have to hope the bottom of the river is unchanged - and pray the barbel are not passing Bordeaux just now!:rolleyes:

bleak

Reaction score
If you are planning a visit to this part of the Lot drop me a PM. I can see what the river is like and point you to a likely swim to get you started.

A friend who runs a canoe business advised me to install RiverApp on my phone. It covers many rivers in France and I find it useful, though it helps to view the river in conjunction with the apps flow rates and in time build up a mental picture of what is happening.

Bouzies, east of Cahors, is the monitor station closest to me. At least now it saves me a trip down the hill when the river is too powerful. The flush of water after the recent heavy rain was immense, stripping away undergrowth and small trees on the banks adjoining my most productive barbel swim.

Just have to hope the bottom of the river is unchanged - and pray the barbel are not passing Bordeaux just now!:rolleyes:

Which Riverapp do you use? I live about an hour from the Dordogne and would find this app an inspiration. Barbel on the menu in Bordeaux ...

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Which Riverapp do you use? I live about an hour from the Dordogne and would find this app an inspiration. Barbel on the menu in Bordeaux ...

I found RiverApp for Android on Google Play. Would think it's available for other devices as well.

Try www.riverapp.net for info.

You need to see the river at various heights and flows, then check RiverApp for the nearest monitoring point. After a season you will build a picture of what to expect.

Good to have a genuine use for these mobile devices!

sylvanillo

Reaction score
Arf Cahors and its lovely bridge, Garonne, Cantal!!
On top of that in France you get one license and can fish in 90% of the waters.
Enjoy!!!

bleak

Reaction score
pelamid than you . I have the riverapp now. It is aimed at kayakers but that is fine...water is what it si.