Respooling a reel

mikench

Reaction score
Do you routinely respool a reel simply after a set passage of time or only when you feel that it may be worn or damaged? To date I remove the last 2 or 3' routinely and certainly if there is a loop on the end I cut it off and start afresh. If the amount of line is affected I will respool. I'm still trying different lines but don't tell Tigger.:rolleyes:

Sadly I have never felt a spool of line could even be remotely worn out. Reels are cleaned after every use and I like a good line lay. If I don't have the latter and respooling doesn't cure it, then the reel is consigned to the garage.

wetthrough

Reaction score
Hit the thanks button instead of reply!

I don't have a fixed period and like yourself will generally cut two or three feet off, more if there's shot down the line in deep water. On average I'd say I respool about three times a year and that's fishing twice a week generally. It's just a gut feeling that main line takes quite a lot of hammer and it doesn't take much of a nick or scratch to reduce its breaking strain.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I try and have an empty spare spool , so instead of renewing the line I will remove spool from reel and replace with spare spool. Put some backing line on spare spool and join reel line to it, Then wind line onto spare spool. So in effect I am using same line but now it's the back end of the line I am using, Save buying a new spool of line.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm not remotely dogmatic about it. In all but the most extreme angling environments, I expect lines to last. I also find that they last a lot longer on centrepins, which is nice. My reality is that I'm more likely to change a line because I need a different breaking strain, or line properties, than because the line is worn out. I have some spools that have had the same line on for several years.

Reaction score
It all depends on the fishing im doing and how many quality fish are caught,slider fishing seems to naff a line,plus i cut more off to give a fresh start making the spool seem too low quicker,similarly feeder fishing where the line becomes a little crinkly for just over the length of the rod,thats where its had the life stretched out casting equates similarly,i can usually feel if the line is deteriorating just by touch,some of my barbel lines havent been changed for years,although one spool needs changing when i ran over something abrasive whilst on holiday...

nottskev

Reaction score
It's hard to generalise - depends what line and what type of fishing, even what type of water eg clear and open or with snags and rocks etc.

I've got reel lines from 1.5lb to 12lb, and they last differently. It's not that the thicker and heavier lines last longer - for instance Maxima in 2 or 2.5lb will give a surprisingly long life used for roach, perch, bream etc in open water, and can last the best part of a year, whereas a 12lb line can get beaten up and need replacing after a few river barbel sessions in rough and snaggy water.

Lines are cheap enough, compared to other tackle, so there's no need to take chances.

I'm guessing you mostly have a use for a medium strength feeder reel line of 4-6lb, and a floatfishing line of 2.5 -3lb for your roach fishing? It helps if you get to know the brands you use (although I quite understand trying different lines for whatever reason) and how well they last, and if you habitually check the line. Even if if your lines look ok, it's not a big chore to change line every few months.

You can use another spool and reverse used line, as suggested. I tend to feel that if I'm going to take the trouble, I'd like fresh line, so I back up my spools (barbel reels excepted) to take 70 yards or so and re-fill them from bulk spools.

It feels a bit daft to write it, but you do have to get to know your line. For instance, one brand I use for light waggler fishing seems prone to misbehave when freshly spooled, but will later behave faultlessly and last for ages. Another, used for light stick float fishing, is great when new but quite soon, compared to the previous line, starts to degrade and become troublesome.

Reaction score
These days i use an 8lb line for my feeder fishing,if i was looking for long casts i would use 7.9lb silstar matchteam,especially as i detest braid.

John Keane

Reaction score
Always use 8lb Daiwa Sensor for feeder fishing and find that method feeder fishing tends to cause twist (as does using a Baitrunner) so I often chuck out a Gardner Spin Doctor to undo it. Only tend to re-spool about once a year if the line isn’t roughed up.

For salmon fly leaders on the Spey in the Spring it’s always Maxima Chameleon in 12lb or 15lb, depending on height of water, and I ALWAYS replace the 50yd spools every year. Salmon are too few and far between to be risked for the sake of 2 yards of mono.

Last edited: