wild carp

krispy

Reaction score
hi , ive been fishing a small farm pond for what im told are wild carp but they just look like lean common carp to me and go to 5lb,does any one have any pics of wildies as i cant find any decent pics of any on the net.

Reaction score
IF they are wild carp, they will fight like ****. Especially in the summer. But in essence, wild carp are the same as common carp. (Or King Carp) Remember, there are no carp* native to our shores.

Ryan

* To My Knowledge + Memory

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
I caught a wild Carp once. Well I think it was, it waspretty angry anyway./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

BarryC

Reaction score
HPIM0143_0.JPG

Heres a big old Cornish wildie from an old farm pond. They realy don't come much bigger than this just over 10lb.

As ryan says they fight like ****

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I also fish a pond/small lake for what are supposed to be Wild Carp......I have to say they are longer and slimmer than othe carp I have ever caught and as everyone says above they do go like stink!

They seem to take the bait and move off in one movement-its absolutely staggering the speed of the first rush-Iv'e even known them to leave the water on the strike in try to hold them before they reach the lillies!!

Even with heavy gear(far heavier than should be required for the size of fish(up to 10lbs)they are still fantastic sport and I'm always pleased when they slide into the net!!

Catch rate is comparatively low to fish hooked but great fun!!

My fish look similar to those in BarryC's pics........best bait-floating crust and big 2" pieces!!

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

The wildies in the canal by me shot off like torpeadoes when you hooked one. You could always tell when you hooked one of these. They averaged around 8lb, but unfortunately I think they got wiped out a few years ago. And they were very localised.

krispy

Reaction score
wild_carp_pic_024.jpg

wild_carp_pic.jpg

cheers everyone just found a couple pictures oftwo of the fish i caught,wildies or commons what do u think.

B

Bill Cox

In truth it is hard to be precise what makes a true wild carp. I think they are generaly smaller and longer. Longer seems to be the overiding characteristic. The ones above seem to fall into that catagery.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Krispy-they look the real deal to me...big scales,very long and a beautiful colour.Personally I'd rather catch fish of this stampwith a great fight than a flabby fish 5lbs heavier!

If I remember correctly Chris Yates caught a few wildies on the'Passion'video

-might be worth a look to check against the shape of your fish....

Very nice fish though...

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I've fished a couple of estate lakes that had wild carp in them and they werethe same shape as the photographs, long and lean and fully scaled. Not like the heavy deep bodied fish that are stocked now.