river blythe at coleshill

D

disco dan

could anyone help.

I am trying to find out who runs the stretch of river blythe that runs at the back of coleshill. i believe it is run by a club called tornado's but am unable to find any contact details for them there was a tackle shop in coleshill called freddies bt that as now closed so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Day Breamer

Reaction score
There used to be a house at the bottom of the hill right near the river and i remember paying the owners of that house to fish the stretch in thier field, but this was some 22 years ago, im guessing alot has changed since then.

I do recall it was right underneath some pylons and when i last fished there we had the most horrendous rain storm, the overhead pylons were fizzing really loudly, no-one was anywhere for miles, it was amazing... oh and i also caught my then personal best Perch on legered double red maggot - 1lb 8oz, the river is only like 15 feet wide in places but offered amazing sport.

If you do find out any information can you please post back here or message me with the details as i used to love the Blythe, had some lovely Chub in it years ago, i'd love to fish it again this year.

Thanks hopefully in advance.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I used to fish the Blythe regularly before I came to live down here and at that time the water belonged to the famous Coleshill Angling Society, it was a day ticket stretch and a very good one too on its day with some excellent fishing for chub. That was 14 years ago though and things seem to have have changed since then. Have a read of this.

D

disco dan

thanks to you both for info will try thr info off the website and see what happens and let you know. thanks again

newbieneil

Reaction score
i fish the blythe regularly mate,if your coming down maxtoke lane from the high st the first stretch is cuttle cottage day ticket water as you might well know,if you go further down there is a bridge which i believe is-as you say tornado`s or something but there is another stretch belonging to coleshill angling club which you have to go through a field to get to i think(well thats how me and my mates got there the once)-anyway we walked this stretch and fished it further on past all the signs but after being there a good few hours 2 old blokes came down and told us to get off saying it was private aswell ....im thinking of trying to join one of these clubs if possible cuz theyre definately the better waters imho!...the cuttle stretch is too shallow and clear in most places and all ive seen caught out of that section-apart from crayfish is a tiny perc

Matthew Beddows

Reaction score
Disco Dan - here, in a very concise formis what I know.

From its confluence with the Tame up to Blythe Mill Bridge used to be day ticket but is now no fishing, invitation only by the landowner's consent. Upstream to Cuttle cottage on the right bank is day ticket from the cottage at the bottom of the hill - the opposite bank used to be the Conservative club, but probably isn’t now. From there both banks upstream to Duke’s Bridge is Coleshill DAA - a long waiting list, but not really worth it if it’s big fish you’re after - the barbel that used to frequent this stretch (I think) have dispersed and the chub, although very prolific were mainly shoal fish between 1-3lb; the better chub were to be found on other stretches. Looking upstream from Duke’s Bridge the left hand bank for maybe 500 yards is Coleshill DAA, whilst the right bank all the way up the ‘kissing gates’ is controlled by Tornados. The next mile and half or so is season ticket, although I can’t recall the name but you get the tickets from the farm at the top of the hill - you get to the farm by coming off Coleshill high street opposite the George & Dragon pub then a left and down a lane for about a mile and it’s at the end of the track. This stretch continues all the way up tothe the motorway bridge. The opposite bank up on the motorway stretch used to be known as Plumb waters, but has now changed hands and another small club has it. You can get details from the farm that used to issue the tickets back then, although is probably a closed membership. Upstream of the motorway section are Packington estate waters and is trout only, very shallow for much of it until you get to past Stonebridge Island and the Somers Fishery day ticket section, a stretch I’ve never fished but a friend did have some big chub out of it a few years ago.

And there’s big of everything in this jewel of a river …they just take a bit of finding. Good luck.

Matt

newbieneil

Reaction score
according to totalfishing someone had a 30lb pike out of the somers stretch recently...i went to have a look at their stretch with my mate when we went to somers at the end of the summer and it looks really overgrown but if you can brave the snags then im sure there gotto be some chub living in that stretch

isc

Reaction score
blythe

as i have only just seen this web page my reply will be wel out of date
i fished the blythe in the eightys at most of their opens i was also a member
of cdaa as i remember stan smith had the rights to one of the prolific bits of the water where 25lb plus was needsd to win in those days coleshill had some great anglers lez prust, joe fell, austin clisset mick hyait ,ray mills and many more, great roach and dace fishing stick float woud catch as would pole later on, have been broken many times in the mill pool when i think they wre doubele barbell or carp also have a head of bream on ertain pegs
brilliant stetch of water fromm 18 iiches to parts that were 6 feet i am sure the fishing is just as good downsteam of dukes bridgewere the mill poll is.