Guru rig case

mikench

Reaction score
With my new found hook tying attempts( skill is too strong) I need a decent smallish rig case to put them in rather than the free orange things from the comics.i have 2 questions;

1. Which do people recommend if not the guru?
2. Do people wrap longer lengths a few times around the pegs or ensure that they stretch between pegs just once.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
For pole rig hook lengths I use the small Preston box and the larger one for hook lengths up to about 10 inches lng.

For longer ones for legering or feeder fishing I use the Preston again but the one that has the little plastc reels to store the longer hook lengths, thereby saving the need to "double" them over around the pegs.

The Preston ones I have are the old style so not sure if they are still marketed.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I like these Preston ones for a few reasons, you can remove the winders which is handy if I’m roving and just need one or two style hooks. I’ve mentioned on many an occasion my slightly less than dextrous mitts, I actually find the Buru box difficult to open on a cold day, very strong magnets!

I’ve modified one or two of my winders to accommodate different lengths by gluing in a small pin.

Match Fishing Products - Preston Innovations

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have 3 small and 1 long preston hooklength boxes, I have found if I buy preston ready made hooklengths they are a shade to lend, I have the older style boxes, They have one now where your hooklengths go on something similar to a pole winder and is held in place in the box by magnets Preston's are bringing out ready made hooklengths on these winders to save making your own.

Last edited:

chrissh

Reaction score
Another vote for the preston hook length box I have all three sizes

* Mike if you want a large and small guru hook lenghth free of charge (pm me)*

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
For pole rig hook lengths I use the small Preston box and the larger one for hook lengths up to about 10 inches lng.

For longer ones for legering or feeder fishing I use the Preston again but the one that has the little plastc reels to store the longer hook lengths, thereby saving the need to "double" them over around the pegs.

The Preston ones I have are the old style so not sure if they are still marketed.

PI have brought out a modified design of the older style, and also the hooklength pole winder type box, as well as the spools that go in a special box ( other brands available in this style ) I think Daiwa broght these out many years ago but were classed as a gimmick, I had a few of the daiwa ones and found them to be good, they were colour coded so you could put different hooklengths on the spools

rich66

Reaction score
I use a stonfo one portafinoli 200 I think it’s called. Slim and light.
Suits my needs has various pegs inside. I don’t do over long hook lengths anyway so about 8” is the longest it will take.

mikench

Reaction score
A big thank you to Chris for a very generous offer which I have gladly accepted. I hope I may be able to reciprocate one day. Another :thumbs: for the forum and the calibre of it's members.

hague01

Reaction score
I agree the Guru can be a devil to open with cold hands.
The greys infinity is cracking at around £14 but it only holds 13 rigs.Plus like all prodigy stuff I have, its heavy.Have you tried their wonderful klip lok box,sold for about £50 complete, it really is good but I would consider buying a JCB first if I wanted to take it to the bank.
The korda rigsafe is good too but I found the hinges weren't up to it, again its heavy IMHO.
Just seen a new one( on me) frenzee at about £11.May take a chance on that.I am going to carp show again the weekend at brentwood so hope its there to have a look at it.Every year I leave the show asking myself why I pay a tenner to go into a shop in a tent, but keep going back!

hague01

Reaction score
just won a frenzee hook up for £9 delivered in fleabay