Closed section.

Nick Lynch

Reaction score
The local council closed off awinding stretch of our local river and made it into astraight stretch. What is left over is a still, winding piece of water. Would thisstretch beclosed in the off season? The section is no longer part of the river, and I am 95% sure it doesn't connect to the river in anyway. Below is a diagram and a googlearth blinky.
dearne.bmp

stretch

You can see on the photo the different coloured water. The new stretch is straight and brown, the cut off section isbendy and green.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
I'd day it's a still water and ok in the closed season - but try the EA they should be able to tell you

W

Wolfman Woody

Thank heaven you finally got it right. It looks like a bra hung on a washing line in your drawing.

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Check with the EA, but if it's not directly connected to the river then it should be deemed a stillwater, <u>BUT</u> you still have to get permission to fish it, of course.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

It is now a lake and therefore no closed season applies although as Woody says you still need the permission of the owner to fish it.

Nick Lynch

Reaction score
Woody it's a diagram not a drawing./forum/smilies/sarcastic_smiley.gif

Will the EA have this water on record as being there? If they don't who would give me permission to fish?

Would apermission slipfrom nurse Cratchet me o.k?lol

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Why did they strigten that stretch i can see no reason for it.

With regards fishing it should be fishable in the close season.

B

Bully

Why did they do that? What did it achieve?

Reminds me of the Shallows, on the Medway, what a tragic waste that was.

Specihunter

Reaction score
Is there still fish in there or have they been removed ? If they have find out if you can turn it into a day ticket.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Nick,

To be on the safe side, simply call the EA and ask for their advice.

It is difficult to tell from the picture/map; but I am struggling to understand why the Council undertook this work (?)

Xplorer1

Reaction score
The EA has to be involved and consulted on any work affecting rivers. They will be aware of the water's existence. Ring your area office (find them on the EA website or your phone book) and ask for FRB (Fisheries, Recreation and Biodiversity).

Nick Lynch

Reaction score
Peter I think this was done to avoid severe floods. You see the two small lakes at the bottom of the map, they are actually on a steap hill and the river is about 50m below them(The only reason I could think of).

Speci there are fish in it, but what excactly, I don't know. The last time a friend went he had a jack on lobworm, that's the only time I know of anyone fishing it. I have seen fish moving around.It's wild and overgrown with swampy areas surrounding, it does hold a lot of weed aswell.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Sound's like it will become a wildlife resevre to me, no doubt the RSPB will be looking very close at this.

I can not see any reason why you shouldn't be able to fish there, it is now a still water. The land owner may be the person or person's who may not want anglers there. But as other's have said ring the EA.

Nick Lynch

Reaction score
It is a public right of way owned by the council. I pay my rod license so why can'tI fish on a water they own? I have contacted the EA and they are going to get back to me.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Nick,

A public right of way doesn't mean you can fish it, Nor doe's a EA Licence. It will be down to the Council at the end of the day, if they are the owner's.

But good luck, and let us know how you get on.