Carp Show

steve2

Reaction score
Visited the Brentwood Carp Show today made me realise just what big business catching a few carp is. It was packed with people spending money on anything that might just catch them a few more.
Never seen so many different baits, rods, reels and odds and ends aimed at just catching one species of fish.
Do people really pay nearly £3000 for a bait boat?

I must have been the only one there that was not interested in carp just the predator angling stall.
I did come away few more lures for my collection and now know why I might be adding a drop shotting rod to my collection of rods.

John Keane

Reaction score
Visited the Brentwood Carp Show today made me realise just what big business catching a few carp is. It was packed with people spending money on anything that might just catch them a few more.
Never seen so many different baits, rods, reels and odds and ends aimed at just catching one species of fish.
Do people really pay nearly £3000 for a bait boat?

Sounds about as interesting to me as a WWE Smackdown or a Monster Truck Fest. :eek:mg:

hague01

Reaction score
I went yesterday.Agree its truly amazing, to me anyway, the plethora of tackle available now and the cost! Johnson Ross had maybe 100 + free spirit rods on display( didnt count but enormous racks,)all slightly different.
Been for last 5-6 years too.Much better organised this year, but parking was worst ever dictated to by the sheer number attending.
I would say its 99% carp. I would like to go to a more general fishing show like Farnborough but its a shlap from me in Essex.Might make the effort this year though.

steve2

Reaction score
I must admit those free spirit rods were very nice. After picking up a few it was very tempting to buy.

hague01

Reaction score
Johnson ross r nice people to deal with. I bought 2 of my 5 f,/s rods from them . Really like the look of his carp waggler feeders but gone over to Harrison's now.

hague01

Reaction score
I think it was just me but the F/s were great, maybe better than they looked. Went to peregrine in the end, they made 2 for me, 1 more than intended, but they seem all i can wish for at the venues I attend. Just a bit strange that I get the feeling I have got to the end of the road, so to speak.Not sure where else to look without going backwards. I mean to contact you Sam later in the year but i am taking my grand-kids to Pickering in August for a week.I need somewhere i can take my grandson, 11,for a couple of hours, day ticket etc. Anywhere come to mind?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I am taking my grand-kids to Pickering in August for a week.I need somewhere i can take my grandson, 11,for a couple of hours, day ticket etc. Anywhere come to mind?

It's not the best part of the world for coarse fishing. However, it's been about ten years since I lived over that way. I believe that there are a couple of day ticket waters (almost commies) in the Malton area, but I didn't visit any of them. Brickyard Lakes, Amotherby is one that comes to mind.

The waters in the area that I'm slightly more familiar with would be Brooklands, Wykeham and Selley Bridge. The latter can be a tough proposition for a beginner/kids due to masses of weed and relatively low (more natural) stocking levels. The other two are closer to commercial stocking levels.

hague01

Reaction score
next time it rains I will be onto mr google.Thanks Sam!

hague01

Reaction score
Oh yes, didn't notice as i was putting coal in my pc at the time.Thanks and much appreciated.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It is amazing how much a bait boat costs these days . . . three grand?

I bought mine about 6 years ago with echo sounder and spare batteries for just over £700 . . . I did look at the GPS models but decided that the cost didn't warrant the extra capability.

mikench

Reaction score
I looked at one today and it was €49,000 . Ridiculous but as well as bait it would carry 6 people at 30 knots.:wh