Camcorder

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

With my impending visit to Australia, I am thinking of getting a small compact camcorder to record some of the happenings. This, together wilth my Nikon D300 willgive a nice record of my trip.

I certainly don't want to spend a fortune on a camcorder and I was thinking of a modest bit of gear from the Panavision or Arri stables!!

Or perhaps I might be better getting a Canon.

No more than £200 now, what do you recommend?

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Ron,

With the cost of Memory cards dropping all the time look at something without a hard drive and then buy a load of cards.

I have a Hard Drive Sony SR55 which is brilliant but cost me just over £300 last year. Check out todays prices on pricerunner.co.uk

Colin

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Thanks Colin, I'll certainly look at that one.

C

Cakey

I hate camcorders and sold mine rather quick after buying it

my problem was not seeing the action "live" but having to watch it when I got home................

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Well I want to do a movie of my kid's wedding!

C

Cakey

sorry Ron didnt mean to upset you its just an opinion of mine
while your pointer the cam at a subject you are missing what is going on around you...................

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I decided on a Canon FS 10. Ordered it at half the price!

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Morespiders

Reaction score
Ron, a fool and his money are soon parted, you could have borrowed my New improved Brownie 127 with adjustable side and rear focus

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I want a movie camera mate, not a camera that should have beenchucked in the skip eons ago!

M

MarkTheSpark

If you haven't already left, Ron, I was faced with the same dilemma. I haven't invested yet, but talked to a lot of people and sussed a lot out.
In short, look for a camcorder with Optical Image Stabilisation - Canon, Sony and others do it. DON'T be fooled by non-optical image stabilisation - it's pants.
You can choose between hard disc drive recorders (HDD) which have a built-in drive, or others with memory cards. I'd go for the HDD and downlaod the movies to your PC. They have quite a lot of storage, though.
You can get all kinds of image resolution and rising cost to go with it. Take your pick.
But make sure you get that Optical Image Stabilisation....