Fishing Clubs around Shrewsbury

John Wood 2

Reaction score
I will be moving up to Shrewsbury in the spring and will be living approximatel 500m from the river Severn.

Can anyone tell me who controls the river fishing on the stretch above the town (at the back of Copthorne Barracks)? There is a cluib (Shrewsbury Fishing Club i thinkits called) but as far as I know they don't have the rights that far up.

any help would be much appreciated.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I havn't got a clue but there is an easy answer to this, ring a Shrewsbury tackle shop or the local fishing club and I am sure they will know.

Pheonix tackle is one tackle shop 01743 446759

J

John Howard

Pheonix closed up last year. Seems the shop in Frankwell has to as there not listed in the latest phone book.

So try Walkers 51-52 Mardol just off the town centre 01743 241411

I do know there is a local club that has most of the town waters on the Severn but unfortunatly not the name.

ian geddes 2

Reaction score
Theres a new shop opened up on battlefield industrial site can't remember the name but its a big well stocked shop. Most of the town waters is on a council ticket I believe , the tackle shop will know.

ian geddes 2

Reaction score
Not sure I'll have to make sure I'm not looking at my shoe next time I go in , it's really handy for me on my way down to the Severn from Whitchurch

John Wood 2

Reaction score
The big one at Battlefield is Direct Angling. It massive has just about everything you could ever need.

I know about the town club, and Direct Angling sell membership for it, but the town club doesn't cover the water that far up. I think the most obvious feature in the area I'm interested in is the Agricultural Ground on the far bank. The stretch I'll be living near is just upstream of there.

ian geddes 2

Reaction score
John,

Thats the shop I meant, I'm not suure who has the stretch your talking about ,I haven'nt really fished in Shrewsbury just above and below the town.

John Wood 2

Reaction score
ian - when you fished above the town do you remember who had the fishing rights?

ian geddes 2

Reaction score
Macclesfield Prince Albert have a lot of water above and below Shrewsbury ,waiting list around 2 years but worth it some great fishing .Warrington anglers also have water above shrewsbury Montford bridge & Allesbury no waiting list around 30 quid I think. I think there is also a day ticket stretch bat Atcham good for barbel I believe.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Get an Old LMS card for Emstrey on the outskirts of Shrewsbury. Pheonix used to keep them but guess Direct Angling will as well.

Some good barbel in stretches above and below the road bridge. Access from the farm yard andthen walk over the fields.

River quite deep cut through fields at that area but some quality fish there. There is also a salmon section in the middle.

slime monster

Reaction score
Barbel to 8lb graced our nets in the seventies/ eightiesin club matches at Monkmoor near shrewsbury .......cant remember which club i booked the water from.

Atcham day ticket water is Nat-Trust water tickets at filling station heading to shew sbury over river turn left follow rd garage at junction. NO NIGHT FISHING

Stephen Williams 2

Reaction score
Some of the water above Shrewsbury is syndicated/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif, so it would be wise to make sure you know exactly who controls the water your fishing, before fishing.

Steve

Wiktor z Polski/Dr. Wodka

Reaction score
Atcham excelent for barbel,chub and pike also Waa have 2 or 3 good stretches with night fishing permit if I`m not misteken.Has any one had barbel from atcham over 9lb?

Steve Holland

Reaction score
The shop at Battlefield is called Total Angling. They have all the local clubcards/day tickets in there. Very helpful lads.

I'd advise you to buy any daytickets from the shop as prices seem to double on alot of waters around Shrewsbury if you buy them on the bank.

Warrington anglers hold rights on the Montford Bridge section, Lymm have Atcham and the Tern confluence.

Apart from LMS theres also the SAA sections around the Quarry and County Ground in the town centre.

Phil Hatton 2

Reaction score
My club, Lymm AC, although based further north, has two stretches, Atcham and Rossall. Good fishing with good access. Also some other good waters if you fancy travelling, especially if you like Tench fishing.

Steve Holland

Reaction score
Phil, theres a good chance I'll be joining Lymm this year. Looking forward to fishing the Vale for the tincas in there and getting amongst the barbel at Atcham.