Shimano bait-runner X-Aero 2500FA

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Shimano Baitrunner X-Aero FA Reels | Angling Direct

I bought a pair of these baby Bait-runners about 16 months ago. I like to give a piece of equipment a fair trial before reviewing it and I have now done so.
ccd1a7fe5570a2115137ee7b8d8a2fd8.jpg

Firstly they aren’t cheap, either in price or build quality. They come with one spare spool which like it’s companion is made of alloy. Extra spare spools are available, but they cost around £25 each. The original spools come with reducers but the spares do not, which is surprising considering the price of the bloody things.

The two reels that I bought are still performing as sweetly as when they came out of the box. The bait runner has a full range of tension and I often use it when live baiting for perch. The drag is smooth and easy to adjust. The only downside (if it is one) is that for their size they are fairly heavy. In practice this really doesn’t matter very much as they spend most of their time sitting on rests. I really can’t say anything bad about these reels at all. I am totally satisfied with them. I have the 2500 size but the same reel is also available in 4000 size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have them Ray and i'm of the same opinion as yourself, excellent reels!

sylvanillo

Reaction score
I've been an eye on this exact model for about 6 months I think. The day I can find a new contract (in defiance of f*****g B****t), I buy one!

That will be for the feeder, when I'm after barbel or chub. There are days that keeping a concentrated attention on the tip works great for my spine, and a few others where I prefer to watch the surroundings or chat with my friend, when that's the case we target big fish anyway. Having the switch is a real plus.

Now on the weight, I have to say the 2500 one appears more than OK compared to anything I've seen in shops to date. I've seen many similar reels at 400 or 500 gr!

mikench

Reaction score
I have the 4000 whicih at 415g isn't heavy to my mind and it is a fantastic reel and one which continues to perform faultlessly .

I also have the z Aero 4000 fa feeder reel( now discontinued ) and which is 340g. Another great reel. I thought about buying the Baitrunner x Aero in 2500 size but remain happy with the DL 2500 Shimano for those few occasions when I use a short feeder or bomb rod.