Fish finder RC boats

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
I see them for sale, but I've never seen anybody use one, does anybody here use one,

Anyone got any thoughts on them ?

Regardless of how productive is the use of them taking fishing to far ?

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

sam vimes

Reaction score
does anybody here use one

Not me, threatened to get one, questioned myself and stopped carping instead.

Anyone got any thoughts on them ?

They are what they are, a very useful tool for those to choose to use them. If used responsibly, they are no problem at all. I realised I didn't want to use one, but it wasn't an ethical dilemma, I just prefer shorter sessions with simpler gear and much less of it.

John Keane

Reaction score
Do you get to wear a Cary Grant style skipper’s cap while piloting them around the ponds?

steve2

Reaction score
Would the fish still be there after a boat goes over them. All they will tell you is where the fish were.

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
Would the fish still be there after a boat goes over them. All they will tell you is where the fish were.
Dont they drop bait when they locate the fish to try and keep them there ?

sam vimes

Reaction score

Generally speaking, yes. Obviously, this my not be the case in every scenario. In really shallow water, or if the fish are at the surface, they may be spooked. However, the fish finding aspect of a good finder is vastly overstated. The way most anglers use them is not for finding fish. They are more interested in contours, depths and other such features. Actual fish finding is largely irrelevant.

Only if the operator chooses to do so. Most users would not simply send a boat out, wait for a fishy bleep on a finder and drop their rig and bait.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score

They are designed to catch anglers( the carper subspecies) and i wouldn't have one given to me.

You either go fishing or sailing your rc boat imo. I like rc yachts.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
They are designed to catch anglers( the carper subspecies)

You may not like them, or want one, but that's really not true. Used well, they are one hell of a tool that does help to put more fish on the bank. Not my bag, but that doesn't change a thing.

seth49

Reaction score
If bait boats are allowed on a new water I use my boat to tow my deeper sonar around to map the depths and contours, the fish finder side of it I tend to ignore, as it picks lots of echoes in summer but very few in winter when the water is colder.

rich66

Reaction score

I’ve never seen the point, feels a little like cheating to me. But each to their own I wouldn’t berate anyone for using one. As long as they don’t do a Miami vice scene through my swim lol

seth49

Reaction score
That’s it’s main use of course, very good for dropping bait and rig under overhanging trees and tight to islands.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
I bought one for carp fishing but have used it more for pike fishing as it can drop a deadbait much further than it can be cast.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Like Pete says they can put a dead bait out further than one can be cast,
I wont have one because they do not suit my style of fishing,
My concern with them is A) people are tempted to drop baits into snaggy areas or under overhanging branches , to me this could endanger the targeted species, because of said snags, and also if fishing under overhanging branches, there is a chance of line catching on said branches when striking.
B) if someone has limited casting ability distance wise, and they send a bait boat out further than they can cast, are they capable of striking into fish and playing it safely at a distance, again this is were the snags and casting come into it.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Can a bait boat be used to troll my lures round a lake? If not why not?

With no modifications, I suspect you could, but you'd run the risk of sinking a fairly expensive bit of kit. I've no doubt that a bait boat could be modified to do as you'd want. However, bait boat batteries tend not to last that long. I doubt they last long enough, or have a reasonable enough range for trolling.

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
How buoyant are these boats ? What if you dragged a line and lure around from the back of it, could you bring a fish to the bank with the boat ? Not saying you should just wondering if you could ? Is there a way ?

sam vimes

Reaction score
How buoyant are these boats ?

It varies depending on the exact model. I've yet to see one with offshore lifeboat levels of buoyancy. They are far from unsinkable. A combination of wind and wave on a big water can see some types off.

What if you dragged a line and lure around from the back of it,

Dragging a lure around is trolling, see above.

could you bring a fish to the bank with the boat ? Not saying you should just wondering if you could ? Is there a way ?

Not a chance with any type of bait boat I've seen. They aren't that powerful and the batteries don't last that long under heavy load.