Braid Ban

H

Howard Standen

My local club has banned braided hooklinks claiming they are responsible for damage to fish. Has anybody any experience of this ?

M

Mike Kelly

Our club insists on a leader of at least two meters, but doesn't specify why or what breaking strain.

I believe that clubs would be better off regulating a minimum breaking strain of leader. Surely 4LB nylon will do as much damage as 8LB braid?

T

Terry Edmonds

i would doubt that 4lb line can cause as much damage as 8lb braid, because the braid could be thinner, and the pressure put on the braid can be a lot more.

but i have never seen damaged mouths due to braid, especially by hooklength braids i.e kryston range, but definately can imagine it happening as braids get thinner and stronger.

Terry

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Howard, more information would be good, lots of things damage fish and its normally not the product but the way it is used.

Ask them.

In what way is Braid to blame?
What evidence do they have?
Have they thought about the problem being caused by something else?

Braid is used to such a high pecentage for hook links I can only assume that the club know something that the rest of us don't, if they do then it would be in everyones interest if they made this information available to all.