Loop knot

mikench

Reaction score
I use these a lot for hook lengths and for attaching guru feeders and whilst I can tie them myself I use a loop tyer such as the ringer/ Preston variety or the sensas one. My question is should one wet the knot before tightening and do you.

I confess I rarely do.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I usually wet any knot, not sure it always matters though.

nottskev

Reaction score
Definitely, Mike. This clip explains the benefit of lubricating knots, and other things

YouTube

Richox12

Reaction score
Never on a loop knot but I do on more complicated knots simply to make pulling them up tight easier.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I always wet my knots, it only takes a second to lick one. A dry knot may cause momentary friction on ones line which may weaken the knot.
Same applies when tying spade ends, it ensures a neat finish.

wetthrough

Reaction score
I had some time on my hands so tried wet one end dry the other with some Preston Reflo precision Power 0.14 I had left over using a swan neck loop tyer. 8 out of 11 broke at the wetted end. It only takes a tiny difference for one end to go before the other so for that particular line I'd say there isn't much difference. I've always wetted knots simply because almost everything you read says to do so. The only time I've seen written otherwise was in the Stroft catalogue.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Don’t go licking and Chinese line.....just saying.:)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Always remember, a slow prolonged pull is better than a sharp tugg :w.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
‘Burn’ the line is quite correct. Friction causes heat causing a burn to the line, which occurs with both knots and sliding shot.

Try sliding a stotz quickly along a foot of dry line, the heat it gets to is quite intense.

The more turns on the knot the more friction. The quicker the motion the more friction.

Wetting both lubricates and cools.

Not always necessary but generally a good habit to adopt, both when tightening knots and sliding shot.

bracket

Reaction score
For me it's a figure of eight knot with a good blob of gob. Works every time. No heat friction and no crimping. Pete

John Keane

Reaction score
Figure of Eight Knot, or Perfection Loop is all I use for fly fishing applications. When coarse fishing I use the Seymo Loop Tyer for uniformity of loop sizes with the Double Overhand Knot. Don’t like those Sensas ones that look like a bird’s head, over complicating a simple procedure.