Rods a change in the wind?

dicky123

Reaction score
During the last few weeks (trying to find a new silver river rod) I've learned so much about rods and the changing trends our sport is going though.

Somewhere I think Sam mentioned how lighter rods were becoming more scares, as the carp puddles dominate our fishing, and with many river in decline due to cormorants predation and pollution it's not surprising?

At one time I'd simply look at Daiwa and buy. But almost all their rods have such a huge line range span like 2lb to 8lb or 3lb to 10lb now how can that be? They are clearly catering for anglers that want a rod to do everything, rather than a rod with a specific purpose. Also when they cost upwards of £300 you simply don't want to buy several if you don't have to. But honestly how good are they for niche fishing in truth.

So I asked lots of people and as you expect, everyone had a personnel preference for one type of rod. Most very expensive, and really a bit too much to buy blind, even if it does come highly recommend by someone you trust.

The older rods really appealed, some had that holy grail factor, but I'm sure newer materials are better, lighter and easier to replace that old models. Also they came with a high price too, some owners asking far too much, thinking adding rare and hard to find make the model better in the anglers hand, I'm unsure myself.

One guy I asked for better pictures (they were really bad and blurred) told me that was all he had, and I should trust him? Others don't post anymore? Some post but put they don't accept responsibly for damage in the post?

Finally I brought a new rod after lots of kind help from people like Sam, Mark, Ian and a few others. Its what the forum is for and I've spent far too much time on it recently, so I'm off fishing if you miss me?

Best wishes to all Richard.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ok Richard, as Steve2 has already said, what have you plumped for ?

rob48

Reaction score
He wrote in the other thread that the acolyte's coming next week. So my guess is an acolyte. He could have had mine.

Last edited:

dicky123

Reaction score
Correct 14' Acolyte ultra good price too for new.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Correct 14' Acolyte ultra good price too for new.

I think you've made an excellent choice Richard!
I hope it fills the nich well and you get lots of pleasure using it :).

rob48

Reaction score
That's a pity. I've got a 14' Ultra lying about here that you could have had. Hardly used.

Reaction score
Well just to say after all my blathering about acolytes a good friend of mine turned me,so I went and got a 13ft ultra which i used wednesday and friday catching a total of 14 chub to 5ish and 7 barbel to 6.8ish,now to be fair a slightly pokier rod may have been better but fishing 3lb odd line I didnt break it(yet,lol)and I do give them a fair yank....

trotter2

Reaction score
Some fish for an ultra whitty ,had a few 5lb chub on mine put a bend in them for sure

Reaction score
I must say that the cadence no.3 would have been a saner option,the fish in the peg i was in friday were right down the swim and i felt i was pulling to the limit of the ultra,the cadence would have shifted them upstream quicker on the same hooks and lines....

trotter2

Reaction score
The ultra is a superb roach,dace, grayling rod. If I was fishing specifically for fish of those sizes my choice would not be the ultra.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I must say that the cadence no.3 would have been a saner option,the fish in the peg i was in friday were right down the swim and i felt i was pulling to the limit of the ultra,the cadence would have shifted them upstream quicker on the same hooks and lines....

I think you would have been better off with the plus version, it's good for minnows to barbel etc.

Reaction score
To be honest Ian I bought it for roach,bream,crucians etc,trouble is i wanted to give it a go,lol.

dicky123

Reaction score
I almost brought the Allerton to be honest. It was just the Acolyte was £100 cheaper, and I was unsure about a 13' and the handle. I'm funny with rods, I'm sure I'll love the Acolyte it is for Roach and dace. I have the plus for bigger fish.

dicky123

Reaction score

I'd have switched to my Acolyte plus Whitty mate?

Reaction score
Got loads to go onto,wanted to fish the ultra and take the hit,not again though,the cadence was in the holdall,never an option,had to give it a whirl...