Cormorant scaring methods

B

Bill Cox

Only one effective scarer twitcher and thats a shotgun cartridge or similar right where it hurts.

W

Wolfman Woody

" My concern is that the birds may get used it?"

They do, from what I've heard.

There was a story put around about ten or twelve years ago when we asked for all the protective measures, of a gamekeeper who would walk around with a shotgun. The cormorants flew off when they saw that over his arm, but if he only took his walking stick and held it in the same position, the cormorants stayed.

I have no idea how true that is.

Don't know what sort of angler you are, but the carp boys on one water used to cast a brightly coloured spod straight at the cormorant if one landed on the water. That would scare it off, but I have seen as many as 40 birds in line going around a lake, some on top keeping watch and many below eating fish. These are clever birds.

GreyFox

Reaction score
you must have some money Bill.........

at 5 grand a shot!!

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

TOM SAWYER

Reaction score
I have a scarer too, its a black widow catapult, and some bright shiny steel ball bearings which I fire close to them to scare them off-----------. wouldnt be without it------- /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif, Was fishin one day and a cormy had eaten so much it couldnt take off !!! Took about 20 shots to scare it off !!!!! /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

keora

Reaction score
I believe a fishery in North Yorkshire, Sunrise Lakes between Follifoot and Harrogate, installed one of these. You can adjust the action and timing of the scarecrow so that its behaviour is random. How effective this is I do not know.

An alternative, depending on the size of the fishery is to stretch ropes across the lake surface, with sufficient tension so that the ropes are suspended about a foot above the surface. If they touch the surface they don't deter birds from landing. Sometimes you will need an intermediate support on a raft in the centre of the lake to keep the ropes high enough. Ropes don't improve the appearance of a lake, but they do work.

TOM SAWYER

Reaction score
Im sorry but thats the least practical solution I can think of------

Unless you have huge posts dug into the banks with a winch at each of them,how are you going to tension ,then secure, (while under tension ) ,these ropes,right across a lake ?

How can anglers cast across them ?

Think how hard it may be to play a fish if it tears off across the pond .

How long before your local scally cuts them?

Cost?

What about litter/debris constantly catching them?

What about the birds you are trying to discourage just landing on the raft ?

Can anyone add to those?---------------

Twitcher

Reaction score
Thanks for replies. I'm well aware of the various methods you canemploy i.e ropes, scaring with gun fire i.e. start pistols etc, but am specifically interested in the effectiveness of the 'Scary Man' device?

As for random coments re shooting them, then if only life was that simple when we choose not to be above the law.

TOM SAWYER

Reaction score
You are presuming that shooting them is illegal, it isnt, ask a fishery owner. They are allowed to shoot a certain amount each year. This is a FISHING forum, not a bird sanctuary. Cormorants are destroying our sport. along with our Eastern European friends of the Commonwealth

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I saw one of these scary man things at Newark showground a few years ago,what it was meant to be scaring Idont know,the idea seems to be that it suddenly inflates and rises up in the air,the sound this makes is quite loud a sort of crackly rustling sound which Ithink would carry across a lake surface,fully inflated they stand up with arms flailing,this also creates a noise.I think if it was on a timer and inflated say every 5 minutes it could be effective.however magpies and crows used to fly off the hard shoulder of motorways when a vehicle approached,they dont now.

marie marling

Reaction score
Tom get a pro diablo and some marbels it dont take 20 shots their not rare their not endangerd and the same as sea gulls not supposed to be in land.

Twitcher

Reaction score
Shooting Cormorants without a licence fromDefrais ilegal. Even if you do get a licence then it will only be to shoot alimited numberof birds as a 'scaring measure'. Frustrating yes, but appears the best approach is a combination of measures i.e. scaring, fish refuges and shooting.

I'm dealing with a water that currently has a severe cormorant problem and I'm investigating all avenues that are within the law.

marie marling

Reaction score
Twitcher you stand admiring the birds and they will empty your lake the scary man will work until they realise its not going to hurt them.

marie marling

Reaction score
get a licence and have a cull problem solved its funny how the govs answer to all problems end up costing loads of money small businesses don't have ./forum/smilies/thinking_smiley.gifmoney that ends up having to be put on day ticket price increases. oh and bird scarers

TOM SAWYER

Reaction score
I too am working within the law, I'm just scaring them when I see them------- /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif , only where I fish, the stocks stay in the pond, diablo eh Marie? Noted--------/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

R

Robert Woods

From what I can gather, you have to go down "fish scaring" methods and show authorities you have tried & failed to have any chance of a limited cull.

TOM SAWYER

Reaction score
did you read the link about the EU finally going to deal with the problem?

I have a feeling more errr, draconian methods will be allowed soon /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

W

Wolfman Woody

Twitcher, first things first, contact your local EA fisheries people and see if they can you to acquire a licence to cull some birds. Don't forget that the fisheries boys also hate the birds.

After that the best way is to build fish refuges under water, but that does tend to make the fishery and bit "swimmy", ie if you're not near a refuge - no bites.

Another idea on fisheries with lots of trees around the edge is to cut some down in between the swims. That slows the birds down, but the fishery looks a bit of a mess.

Lilies too are a good idea, but plant native ones, preferably nymphoides alba (the white one). DO NOT plant small leaved lilies as they will choke the lake and nuphar lutium (the yellow one sometimes called cabbages on the river) grows a tangle of roots above the soil level, making fishing a pain in the neck when hooked fish go underneath them. Mind you, in winter when the cormorants are mostly inland, the lillies have died back, but they do still help and make a nicer fishery.