scare mongering

alan jones 6

Reaction score
while i dont very often have much to say i do enjoy visiting ths site, however i would like to ask a question without trying to upset anyone.

i am pondering on whether or not to join a.t. as all im interested in is put out the rod and hope i catch this may sound im not an angler but i like it and look forward to my day out on the bank. asfter all a bad day fishing is better than a days work./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gifi just enjoy being on the bank fishing and being in the countryside with all that entails. so my question is,

1,is it worth it i read all this fear about the antis but feel this is scaremongering as what chance do they have of winning.

2, there is supposed to be 5 million people fishing (however after reading how much is raised from rod licences i cant see where they get this from) (can someone enlighten me)although its agreed that angling is the largest participating sport supported by police, councils, mp, charities and other organisations.

3, it is also a big money earner to the countryand before anyone says look at fox hunting that was a minorityactivity (i will not say sport) for the elite and hooray henrys

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

John Peel

Reaction score
If you think fox hunting is just for the elite and hooray henry's you are well off the mark son, Its enjoyed by many thousands of folks from all walks of life.......... and, its more of a sport than sitting by the river dangling a bait is.

E

EC

Alan, if you are asking, my advice is to look at the biggerpicture for the long term future of angling andjoin!

But, first go to the angling trust website, it's linked on one of the other threads somewhere. Have a good read what they stand for, and have a look if any of the things that they are trying to promote, protect or influence, might one day apply to you, and then make your mind up.

Tony Hart

Reaction score
John Peel, We dont dangle a bait, we fish a bait, the clue is in the name of our sport Fishing. Have you ever been fishing. If not, dont knock it until you have.

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Tony Hart wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote> John Peel, We dont dangle a bait, we fish a bait, the clue is in the name of our sport Fishing. Have you ever been fishing. If not, dont knock it until you have.</blockquote>

Well said Tony.

Mind you, don't lets try to distance ourselves from hunting lads; the urge to hunt is seated deep within all men.

I reckon most of my enjoyment of fishing is rooted in the same basic urge; the buzz as the rod bangs around is to me, pure hunting.......

Dave Smith

Reaction score
Alan hunting with dogs was banned not just fox hunting which also had an impact on your average working class lads and lasses. not just the rich.

There is a real danger that angling will be banned or probably more likely there will be that many rules and restrictions placed on us, that it wont be fishing as we know it. maybe it wont happen soon, maybe it wont happen at all.... but if you could make a small gesture now to help would you consider it worth it?

A few of my mates shoot hand guns or rather did, they got banned and not many saw that coming. anything is possible.

We're losing waters hand over fist to other organisations who then ban fishing. what if at some point in the future Angling had money in the bank to buy these waters and lease them back to your local club? An organisation worth supporting?

I take all statistics with a big pinch of salt, but I'd guess that there are more fishermen (and women) than there are birdwatchers. and the RSPB boasts a million members. how much clout would Angling have if Angling Trust had a million members?

slime monster

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>John Peel wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>If you think fox hunting is just for the elite and hooray henry's you are well off the mark son, Its enjoyed by many thousands of folks from all walks of life.......... and, its more of a sport than sitting by the river dangling a bait is.</blockquote>

John i cant understand how it only took you 18 minutes to comment on a postin an angling forum when you are obviously not an angler, also addressing someone as son when you dont even know them is another clue as to the sort of individual you are.

feel free to insult me ......

Red Army

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>slime monster wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote><blockquote class=quoteheader>John Peel wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>John i cant understand how it only took you 18 minutes to comment on a postin an angling forum when you are obviously not an angler</blockquote></blockquote>

He's probably googling "fox hunting" all day long in search of comments about it...how sad is that /forum/smilies/thinking_smiley.gif

Keith M

Reaction score
John Peel wrote (see)<blockquote class=quote>If you think fox hunting is just for the elite and hooray henry's you are well off the mark son, Its enjoyed by many thousands of folks from all walks of life.......... and, its more of a sport than sitting by the river dangling a bait is.</blockquote>

Its more of a sport than sitting by the river dangling a bait is.???

If thats what he thinksfishing all about then he needs to get back to dressing up and blowinghis horn and leave the many millions of people (from all walks of life) who persue the gentle art of the angleand enjoy the wild life in and around the river without having to kill their quarry purely for fun and tradition!!.

What a plonker /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif.

F

Fred Bonney

I bet it's not his real name!/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Muffin

Reaction score
I think people who go fox hunting are cheats, the Beaufort hunt (Beaufort horse trials) is very near where I grew up and I've seen the tactics they use to catch the foxes.

They block up their escape holes and burrows so basically they just run around until they are knackered and they stand no chance of getting away?

Where is the fun in that, its like fishing with a trawler net in a commerical carp pond (next article for Angling Times maybe?), you are bound to be sucessful.

Not much of a challenge hey?

I would add that I dont wish to discuss fox hunting, I have no issues with it, I just wish to prove that fishing is by far the more testing and difficult sport!

Anyway, I think the anlging trust needs support, but I'd like to know what they are actually gonna do in return that will effect my local area. I'm still holding out to see what hyappens before they get my £20, but its not too far away from happening!

Simon

davestocker

Reaction score
In my view, the threats to the future of recreational fishing will very likely come from well-funded lobbying groups working at EU level, who for their own various reasons will generate legislation that could easily impact negatively on fishing.

I don't know just who's lobbying for precisely what right at this moment, which meansI'll need an organisation that represents me as an angler, that will find out just what is going on, make sure we UK anglers know about it, and do whatever they can to prevent salami-slice legislation removing our freedoms as anglers.

To me, joining the AT is a no-brainer. Get signed up!

The bad one

Reaction score
Simon for an answer to your question, could you pleaseenlighten us what you think they are. Because without knowing the problems as you see them,how could anyone start to address them?

In general terms i'd agree with Eddie and the others as to why you should join Alan J. but the choice is at the end of the day up to you.

alan jones 6

Reaction score
thanks lads i have looked at the a.t. site and taken your comments on board and will be joining up after all it is only 39p per week.

muffin

i totally agree but would add where is the fun in killing. as far as john peel (isnt he a dj) is concerned i may be old enough to be his grandad and anyway he says thousands enjoy fox hunting thats a bit short of millions who enjoy and get benefit from angling i.e. health wise and educationaly, witout killing anything intentionally.

dave

its your point that has made my mind up as well as some things i read on the a.t. site

sorry if im repeating my main point but i am of the same opinion as keith

in a nutshell lets say tight lines to all concerned/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

a bad days fishing is better than a dasys work/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

As 'old' Cliff R sang in themovie'The Young Ones'; united we stand divided we fall. I suggest we all ignore John Peal, Alan.

The AT might not be all things to allanglers at the moment, but (excluding NAFAC, said with a tear in my eye)its by far the best option we have. I'veaired a few of my ownconcerns within the organisation but we now have the best chance, at least in my lifetime, for anglers to be represented, and to be taken seriously at the highest levels.

Dave S asked; how much clout would Angling have if Angling Trust had a million members?

Mike Heylin in his last letter from the SAA said; with 4 million members.... with 4 million members AT could do everything and be all things to all anglers. To pinch the saying of Barack Obama, Yes We Can, (and please dont start asking where they all come from Ray)

Not only is angling supported by all those bodiesyou list above Alan, it is also supported by Government through the EA.The Environment Agencyin England &Wales has a statutory duty to maintain, improve and develop salmon, trout, freshwater and eel fisheries. Cant see any mention of fox hunting, or canoeing for that matter.

Another very good reason for becoming a member of the AT is the Public Liability cover provided. Its no use frantically trying to find your household policy in the hope you might just be covered after poking someones eye out whilst out fishing.

My wife has always said that angling is... a worm on one end of the line with a fool on the other.

alan jones 6

Reaction score
i totally agree consider him ignored job done. one point tho if he doesnt like angling what is he doing here/forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

bad day fishing better than working/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Muffin

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>The bad one wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Simon for an answer to your question, could you pleaseenlighten us what you think they are. Because without knowing the problems as you see them,how could anyone start to address them?

In general terms i'd agree with Eddie and the others as to why you should join Alan J. but the choice is at the end of the day up to you.</blockquote>

I'm sorry I dont really understand what you are asking me to clarify? The problems with the Angling Trust:

As I see it I would like to see a mission statement and set of objectives and shorter term goals, then I will invest if I think that its worth my time and money to do so.

Muffin

Reaction score
This is from the website:The Angling Trust will campaign for: <ul>[*]Conservation [*]Protection of angling [*]Increased government and EA support for angling and fisheries [*]Control of nuisance predators [*]<div align="left">Co-ordinated action on poaching and fish theft[/list]The Angling Trust will deliver: <ul>[*]More quality coaches from diverse backgrounds [*]Angling education programmes [*]Increased opportunities to participate in angling [*]National and international competitions [*]Support for angling club development[/list]The Angling Trust will fight: <ul>[*]Pollution, over-abstraction and litter [*]Declining marine and freshwater fish stocks [*]Commercial overfishing [*]Habitat Degradation [*]Damaging barrages, weirs and hydropower schemes [*]Poaching and fish theft [*]Unlawful navigation [*]Spread of diseases and parasites [*]Access restrictions [*]Anti-angling campaigns[/list]

All great, but how is it gonna be done, is the the EA not responsible for some of the above? And what does it mean to the angler who does not fish commercials or matches and does not fish 'popular' venues?

Surely they can apply to the lottery for a grant or something and get most of this sorted, rather than it becoming an elite group of fisherman who feel they are doing their share for there beloved sport? I know if I set up a company and asked for £20 to join and m ade a set of aims as above, people would not invest until they saw some action -how is this any different?

Is our sport really under this much threat? What happens if the trust fails, are we all doomed never to be able to fish ever again, I dont think so.

Plus I'm not sure about this statement:<ul>[*]Anti-angling campaigns[/list]

Dont they mean, Pro-angling campaigns?

Edit: Ok I'm pretty blonde again today, it actually says they are gonna fight anit-angling campaigns!

Humble pie......

T

Tony Rocca

You lot are too easy, Mr Peel was obviously on a wind up.

Did ye ken John Peel wie his cwote seay gray,

Did ye ken John Peel at the breck o’ day;

Did ye ken John Peel gang far, far away,

Wid his hounds an’ his horn in a mwornin?