Angling trust membership benefits are a joke

redalert06

Reaction score
Firstly I have joined the Angling Trust because I want to support my sport and if they could at least get the cormorants culled it would be worth my money but the benefits
images

=Eligibility to fish in competitions
=Fish For Free loyalty programme
=Annual magazine and angling handbook
=Regular newsletters and e-updates
=Interactive website

what a load of tosh! I've only started fishing again in the last few months after a long break but was looking forward to joining the nfa this year as I read about it's benefits. 36 days of free fishing at other clubs and 10% off at my local tackle shop.

the new fish4free scheme is a con, the angling trust is probably making money out of it's referral to online stores and the data the high street stores gather about the fishing demographic through the www.reward.tv company that runs it.

HIW_r4_c6_f2.jpg

HIW_r5_c6.jpg

they should be working with the angling shops, supporting them and the clubs not high street bloody retailers.

my member number was 39 thousand something so I think they're doing ok if they've got nearly 40 thousand members in a month but please could they work on the benefits

telling me their interactive website and email newsletter is a benefit is a joke!

end rant.

stikflote

Reaction score
im surprised if they have got 39 thousand members apart from lads on here saying saying they have joined ,i dont know any one who has certainly none of the members of club have joined ,in fact some say never heard of it ,when ive asked a few about

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

About round three in't it mate? Seconds Out. Naah, surely no one will be daft enough?

Quiver man

Reaction score
Round 146 and a third. For those who havent seen the other 84 threads, heres a recap

AT will make angling free for all, kill all cormorants and poles blah blah blah blah

AT will take your £20 and spend in on drugs, hookers and expensive " junkets" blah blah blah

Don't like it, dont join blah blah blah

Best thing since sliced bread blah blah blah

Ignore lists blah blah blah

And now some further developements. AT might use high street stores, which are accessable to everyone, possibly to bring in the more casual angler who dont want more tackle or maybe get something for his missus for putting up with him (arhhhhh). Maybe they are making money. Maybe they are making money to keep the joining fee low. Wai until the first years accounts are out and they'll HAVE to tell you. In fact dont even ask, just go to companes house and download them.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

The benefit is THAT ANGLING HAS ONE VOICE WHEN THE SPORT REQUIRES ITS INTERESTS TO BE REPRESENTED!!

That should be reason enough for anyone to join.Anything else is irrelevant.

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

Most tackle shops still have a cashregister where the bell goes 'pinggg' when the big brass knob is pushed. If you want a receipt (what do you think this is, a shop?) its usually written on the back of a brown paper bag, and God forbid if your a new customer. You'll probably not get as far as buying anything as the bunch of tea slurping, smelly andcursing match anglers who usually congregate will have sent you flying long before parting with any cash.

Its not the AT that's a joke, its the majority of tackle shops, most who have yet to drag themselves into the 20th century, let alone the 21st. Little wonder so many are going under and companies such as Fosters are thriving

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
ADVANCE H.S.E. WARNING:

to some of the regular contributors to threads on this topic - please take a seat to avoid the possibility of fainting or cardiac arrest.

OK.

Glint,

I don't think any of us should be describing the work that a lot of people have accomplished, in a relatively short period of time, to bring these offers to potential members of the Angling Trust as a joke.

I also don't think that we should look at the AT in the light of 'what will they give me' if I cough-up my ?20.00 annual membership.

It is understandable that some of the offers from the previously independant constituent bodies are now no longer on offer, but I think that the AT have done a pretty good job to even bring these benefits to the table.

note to John H.

"You'll probably not get as far as buying anything as the bunch of tea slurping, smelly and cursing match anglers who usually congregate. . . . . "

OI! I resemble that remark.

(insert huge smiling face to avoid anyone 'misunderestimating' that comment)

Alright chaps, you can get up now.

Colin Brett

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Peter Jacobs wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote> I also don't think that we should look at the AT in the light of 'what will they give me' if I cough-up my £20.00 annual membership.</blockquote>

Sadly that could be a reflection of the society in which we now live!

What can I get out of it, rather than what can I put in to it!

Personally, I would like nothing better than angling speaking with one voice.

I hope it works, sod the benefits scheme, that wasn't why I signed up!

T

Tony Rocca

It said in the paper last week that they had 2500 "individual" members, the rest will be from club membership,,,, ie from folks with no choice.

I knew an organisation once who started their membership numbers at 10000.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Tony, you may not agree with the AT or support it for whatever reason but I see little merit in trying to undermine it.

T

Tony Rocca

Not meaning too Nigel,I couldnt give a monkeys either way to be honest.

Just trying to point out that because someone is member 38327they shouldnt think that there are that many individualmembers, as they clearly did.

Greg Whitehead

Reaction score
Par for the course this thread...

All I'll say Glint is that I know for a fact that they do a hell of a lot more for you (and others who will never pay) than you (or they) will ever know. (And I feel I am qualified as an AT journo to make that judgement because it's my job to know what's going on.) Keep paying and hopefully one day you'll recognise the value of your contribution and experience a rosy glow of warmth.

Tony, I'm shocked by your attitude. NOT!/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

T

Tony Rocca

Greg,

"(And I feel I am qualified as an AT journo to make that judgement because it's my job to know what's going on.)"

That one of the funniest things I have ever read on here./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Windy

Reaction score
Whatever else, half a million quids worth of public liability insurance is certainly worth having for those of us who aren't covered indirectly by house insurance etc. (I don't have any)

Check your house insurance before making the assumption you are covered, as sometimes it can easily look as if you are when you're not.

So next time i hook an electricity substation power grid or leave a gate open for a herd of cattle to go walkies on the Motorway I need not fear personal bankruptcy.... and if I had kids who were out fishing then I'd have them signed up for junior membership like a shot !

And that's without any other benefits, real or imagined from the AT, and there does seem to be a good solid dose of the real starting up as well.