Dates of old fishing magazines

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I'm trying to find out when the Fishing Gazette and Anglers News ceased. Also does anyone know when the original Midland Angler ran from and till?

keora

Reaction score
There's lots of references to all three publications in Barrie Rickards excellent boigraphy"Richard Walker" yet no precise dates for their closure.

In a personal memoir at the end, his 2nd wife Pat Marston refers to Grafham in 1968, and in the next paragraph writes about selling Fishing Gazette, which she edited, to a cousin, and then the company failed.These two paragraphs may not be in strict chronological order.

I was a keen reader of fishing magazines from the early 1960s yet at that time I never sawan Fishing Gazette on sale, or read one.

I'd guess that the FG ceased publication in the mid 1960s.

Perhaps Ron Clay will know more.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I seem to have nailed Fishing Gazette down to 1963 from various references so thanks for the help. The only Angling News reference so far is mid fifties courtesy of Barrie Rickards again; I have some from 1952/3, and it's possible that Angling Times finished it off, much the same way that Fishing/Creel/Angler's Worldprobably finished off the Fishing Gazette.