'No catch' fishing...

Graham Braithwaite

Reaction score
I thought I might add a post about a new kind of fishing that I'm starting to practice that guarantees the absolute safety of the fish.

I've decided that I will retain all the usual tackle that is required for the sport, but I will no longer use hooks on the end of line, and will therefore cease to catch any fish at all despite the fact that I will be paying my annual rod licence and taking regular trips out to the bank with just as much enthusiasm as I ever had.

As far as 'losing' or 'retaining' the angling 'buzz', I will still experience the joy and pleasureof being out in the open and sitting on riverbank, and I will still be able to interact with and enjoy nature in the wild, but the only difference now is that I will no longer be catching any fish. I wil still use a float, and will still use bait (although, I will not use maggots), and will still, therefore, experience the thrill of se my float dip in the water, which is the one of themain things that I like about angling, anyway...

I would be only too happy to discuss this further with anyone who might share my interest, and would be interested to hearthe views of others on this slight change of emphasis and practiceon my part.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Graham

Try using blob of super glue on the bait - you will catch fish - once the fish is stuck to the bait reel it in and release by warming the glue with a blow soldering iron

marie marling

Reaction score
I remember a john bailey article when he said he had also stopped hooking fish using flies with no hooks. saying he liked watching the takes I think your welcome to your opinion but some on this site are going to think your mad. I remember talking to someone on the bank who said their favourite bit of carping was when you get a run . me myself I like the fear andthrill of playing the fish to the landing net. also seeing them swim off alright.the most important thing is fishing is supposed to be fun we are all guilty off taking it too seriously sometimes .

enjoy your fishing Graham/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif.

Red Army

Reaction score
To me this sounds like having a sh@g and jumping off the train before it hits the station...

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
How are you going to keep your bait on then ? How do you know what fish has just tasted your bait ? How will you know how big it was or how wonderful it looked in the sunlight ? Will you be using lots of freebies and ground bait ?

Flies without the hook point and spinners and plugs without the treble I can understand as you should be able to see the fish if the water is clear enough but what if the water is murky and your fishing a feeder at long range for instance ?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Think of the tales you'd be able to tell though ......

You could say "I succeeded in notcatching a 150 lb carp today or I successfully failed to catch a 14 lb roach "

There could even be a record fish list for fish you didn't catch......

Reaction score
Why not try rubber hooks? rubber does not penetrate (unless it is rubber of a particular type, batteries included) I must comment that you do seem ratherodd, but certainlynot out of place on this particularforum.

E

Would the Angling Trust represent someone who practised the 'no catch' method of fishing??

E

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Tony Cummings wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Dint they use to catch eels using wool?</blockquote>
yes -- they called it 'babbing'... the eels would get their teeth caught in the wool

Morespiders

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader><blockquote class=quoteheader>ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote><blockquote class=quoteheader>Tony Cummings wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Dint they use to catch eels using wool?</blockquote>
yes -- they called it 'babbing'... the eels would get their teeth caught in the wool</blockquote>
No chance of catching you with your teeth then Bibby.</blockquote><blockquote class=quoteheader>
</blockquote>

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
It would be a pain on waters that insisted on you having a landing net and at least 2 keepnets.

All that expenses and nothing to put in them.

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
Graham

Who needs hooks? You've managed a few runs here already. You must be very excited your baiting methods are working. /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif